Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not gaining weight

Question Not gaining weight

So I just wanted to make sure what I'm doing is right. Went to the doctor on Thurs for a weight check and he's not gaining weight, he actually lost 3 oz. So she told me to supplement with 2 oz of formula twice a day. Heck no not doing it! My hubby and I are totally against. She said it's my milk. He has plenty of wet diapers, so I think he's getting enough, he's just hungry I guess. So what we did instead is picked up some cereal and we got jar food too cuz I can get it through WIC. I think I'm going to do that for now since we qualify for a WIC, is that really bad? But he is taking the cereal well, and he's been more active and aware and even sleeps better at night. So I hope I'm doing the right thing, but if not can someone please tell me, I will do anything but give him formula. I've been leaving him on longer making sure I'm hearing him swallow, which he does, and I even wait for another let down to happen which usually does but it takes quite a while. He takes the food well and seems to have quite an appetite, he seems to like eating too. And I don't think he's anywhere near quitting nursing cuz even 10 minutes later he wants the breast sometimes, probably for comfort
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Default Re: Not gaining weight

How old is your LO?

Can you list dates and weight history?

Has your LO been sick at all?

How old is he???When was his last weight check??

In reality (or at least IMO ) the cereal and such would do less for a goal of weight gain that the formula would - on a nutritional scale the formula has more than the cereal - having said that I wouldn't go buy formula either. That isn't the answer

So if you were my friend IRL and asked me what to do - I'd tell you to put the cereal in the back of your pantry (to give away at a later date possibly) and just follow the steps here

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

with number4. Put the cereal and baby food down and walk away. It's likely taking the place of your milk in your baby's diet and has way less fat and calories than breastmilk does making for less weight gain.

Please tell how old your baby is. If they are recently crawling or moving around more it would make sense that there was the small amount of weight loss that you mentioned. He's simply burning more calories. It will even out.

ETA try breast compressions for making sure baby gets lots of fatty hindmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...ompression.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*proudmamaof3; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

He is 7 months.
    Birth weight: 8 8
    Went down to 8 lbs even
    After that he gained pretty much a pound a month, I think at 6 months he was 14 3 and then at the 7 month check up he was 14. DH has a high metabolism, he's skinny skinny and was small as a baby. I've been leaving him on for long periods letting him finish, as I said waiting even for another let down. I nap with him about twice a day too. I just feel like it isn't enough
    He had a cold a few months ago but hasn't really been sick at all since. Now he has been moving around a lot more, as in rolling and I think trying to crawl.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

There's nothing wrong w/ supplementary solids at this age given after baby nurses. We're on WIC and we use the babyfood we're given. They give you a ton though so be prepared! lol I actually get the fruits for my 5yo and 3yo b/c they love them and I use some of the veggies in my own cooking. Olivia has lots of allergies so we stick w/ the BeechNut brand b/c it's just whatever it is and water for the meats. I've never done jarred meats till now but Olivia likes them and does well on the chicken and turkey. She gets at least 1 jar a day w/ 1-2 jars of veggies. She's 11 mos old and just under 17#, so little for her age too (she was 8#2oz at birth and finally doubled at 9 mos). I'd ditch the cereal though, no real nutritional value and it's yucky. Avacado is a good one too and you can buy that w/ your veggie/fruit voucher.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)