Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what should a 6 months old eat?

Default what should a 6 months old eat?

hello, i just wanted to hear about other's experiences. What did you start your first solid food with at age 6 mos? and how much? thank you!

Default Re: what should a 6 months old eat?

Mama milk. We didn't start till 8 mos b/c there was no need, Olivia was doing fine on just milk. You could do avocado, sweet potatos, bananas.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

When my kid was 6 months old, I started her on the conventional cereals and jarred foods. She would maybe try one taste before she started batting the spoon away. More often she wouldn't take anything off the spoon. I was concerned, so I talked to my pediatrician about her solid food intake, and the pediatrician told me that until the baby is a year old, solids are "just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills." So don't be concerned if your kid doesn't eat much, especially at first. Mine was 99% breastfed until around 14-15 months, and never had any ill effects from it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO is 7mo and we tried stuff at 6 and he didn't really take anything. We just went to the doctor Thurs and they said he isn't gaining well so we got some cereal and jar stuff and he's taking it well. They told me to supplement with formula and there's no way I'm doing that so we tried cereal instead and so far so good But I agree with the others, I think there is no need unless you're having an issue like me. He's more aware now and sleeps longer and is more active so I think it is helping
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10