Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much baby should drink

Default How much baby should drink

I'm going back to work this Monday and will start pumping for DD.
    While I'm gone, how many ounces should she drink? She is starting her 5th month and 14lbs. She eats every two hours. I've been breastfeeding exclusively until now, so any advise as to how many ounces she should eat is greatly appreciated. Also, when i pump at 5 am, i get no milk. barely 1 oz.... i feel my breasts are full.. but nothing comes out...

Default Re: How much baby should drink

I don't remember how much my DD was taking at 5 months. : (
    But check your pump. Make sure the lines are connected and all parts are secure. Try repositioning the flanges too. How much time are you spending pumping at 5 am?

Default Re: How much baby should drink

At 5 months, my son usually would go through about 12-16 oz while at "school" between 7:30 am and 5:30 pm. However, we have been putting some rice cereal in his bottles per our ped. because of his acid reflux. This probably made him drink a bit less. I think a normal daily amount of milk would be between 24 and 30 oz.

Usually morning pumping yields the most, so I would definitely check your pump and parts. What kind of pump do you have? Would you consider renting a hospital pump? It should work really well even if it is not so convenient to tote around.