Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my 14 mth old not eating...

Default Help with my 14 mth old not eating...

My LO is 14 mths and is getting ear infections every month for about 4 mths now. He also won't eat table foods... Only a few bits & then he refuses. His dr has said we need to go to the ENT dr (we go thurs) & I needed to stop nursing at night because she said its making him get more infections. My LO, I guess, also has acid relux. I have not wanted him to not be on any meds for it, but recently gave in & started prevacid. I don't see much change with his eating or night waking... Which is about 5-6 times a night. We co-sleep, but its still rough & its really starting to worry me. Please help! Does anyone have a simiilar situation of the combo of a bad eater, ear infections, acid reflux, and night waking??
    Rachel

Proud Mom of 3 beautiful children, Jadelynne, Jaymison, and Braylon!!

Default Re: Help with my 14 mth old not eating...

No one has replied yet, so is there anyone that had a dr tell them their night nursing was causing recurrent ear infections?
    Rachel

I don't think that's accurate Mama.. Babies left with bottles at night can get ear infections because of pooling fluid and "leaky" bottles. A BF baby has to suck in order to swallow, so the mechanism is entirely different.

I would venture that your babies ear infections are caused byalmost anything BUT breastfeeding, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Hopefully a mama who has BTDT will chime in with her take.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Research says BF while lying down does NOT cause ear infections:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...n-nursing.html

Here's a good article on nurtrition and extended BF:

http://www.mothering.com/drupal_snap...dings-benefits

Lots of toddler only eat a few bites of food at a time. My 14 month old is the same way. And we cosleep. And she nurses all night long.

My third baby was very prone to ear infections. I say was, because he got ear tubes a month ago.

Our doctor NEVER said BFing at night is what is causing the infections. Never even implied it. Babies left with bottles can get infections secondary to the milk pooling, but that does not happen to a breastfeeding baby.

The ENT never said it either.

Anatomy seems to be the big cause of ear infections in children -- their inner ears are tiny, their Eustachian tubes are not well developed, so they clog up easily. Nothing to do with nursing.

Our ENT was delighted that we nurse and told me to NOT quit -- that nursing HELPS because it provides so many antibodies to fight infectious agents.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Tks for all of your repsonses! I knew deep down that it wasn't causing his ear infections. I just hope the ENT dr is supportive of continuing to BF. Ear infections run in my family, my daughter has had two sets of tubes and her tonsils and adnoids out, but I never BF her.

Its so vrazy how you can go from being a hero for BF for a year, but then people start thinking there is something wrong if you want to contine. I have family members who are blaming his ear infections, night waking, & lack of solids due to me still BF. Its so hard to have no support... So tks to you all & to everyone that posts their personal stories. You've helped me tons!
    Rachel

glad your fealing a little bit beter about it and got some support.

I had one child that didn't eat much before she turned 2, turned out her iron was low and once we got her iron a little bit back on track she started eating more.

what sorts of foods are you offering?
    cows milk?

I wanted to say also that the night waking might be totaly normal for your child 3 of my 4 children didn't start sleeping well untill after they were about 5 or 6 years of age.

Hi. Are you from ohio? I'm from the southeastern part. Anyway, we have been doing organic yogurt, applesauce, turkey, chicken, cheese, crackers, peanut butter, cooked veggies, cereal, & some fruits. He will eat some of it one day & the next he don't want anything to do with it. Today I went back to work (since bein home for 5 days) & he only ate a few crackers and a few bits of turkey and dry cereal. We are giving him whole cows milk... Usually one cup of it & a cup of breast milk while I'm gone. Then I nurse when I get home & then at bedtime... Then about 4 times at night. Any advice would be great!
    Rachel

hi, i almost have the same problem. My son is 13 months old and doesnt eat food. somedays he will eat yougart. He has a reflux problen too, also low on iron and WONT take his iron drops in anything. He throws them up as soon as its past his lips, weve tried mixing it in to things, but he doesnt eat or drink anything but the breast. This is honestly the first post i read that someone else has this problem. my baby doesnt get ear infections though. As for the reflux medication, ive noticed my boy does make gulping noises as much. Is your baby eating better? my inlaws and family members also blame it on me bf for "so long"