Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids not pureed enough

Default solids not pureed enough

hello,
    I am feeding my 6 mo solids and am making everything. I put whatever I am making in a food processor/chopper with breast milk and puree for several minutes. If it needs it, I add more liquid. The consistency never seems to be comparable to the store bought kind, no matter how much liquid I add. It seems as though it is not pureed enough. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
    TIA

Default Re: solids not pureed enough

is your baby gaging alot?
    that might be a sign they aren't ready to start.

We skipped purees and just did baby led solids:

http://www.tribalbaby.org/babyLedEating.html

Some good links on readiness for solids

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-links.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3ryansmom View Post
    hello,
    I am feeding my 6 mo solids and am making everything. I put whatever I am making in a food processor/chopper with breast milk and puree for several minutes. If it needs it, I add more liquid. The consistency never seems to be comparable to the store bought kind, no matter how much liquid I add. It seems as though it is not pureed enough. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
    TIA
    If you are wanting to do purees, they do not have to be the consistency of the storebought kind to be usable. Are you having trouble with your baby accepting it, or having trouble with it going down alright, or anything else? If you are having specific troubles, someone here can probably help you with advice about that - if you are not, I'd say no worries at all. We didn't do puress at all, but I did do mashes for a short while and there were no problems with them even though they were thicker.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

We also did baby-led weaning. The extent of his purees was apple sauce we were having with meals, and some leftover pumpkin puree DH had when making pumpkin pie.

You might look at wholesomebabyfood.com for some tips on purees.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I made purees and I found they were always thicker than storebought, even when breastmilk was added. I dont know what that's about but as long as your LO isn't having trouble swallowing and isn't gagging on the consistency, I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, I used a hand mill over a food processor - it's more work but I liked the finished product more.

HTH!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut