Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula is the answer to everything (rant)

Angry Formula is the answer to everything (rant)

So my little girl has decreased her weight percentile at every visit and now at 7 months has fallen off the weight curve. She's 12 lbs 15.8 oz. at 7 months 5 days. We used to have problems where she'd end every feeding screaming like she was hungry, but now she seems satisfied at almost every feeding and if not I give EBM which I have a big stash of in the freezer.
    We started solids at 6 months and she's doing pretty well. At first she loved everything we gave her. Then she balked when I added nutmeg to her squash. Cinnamon is good, not nutmeg though! The last week or so she's been off-and-on as far as how well she's eating. And yesterday was the dr appt. He said to count calories and if she's not getting 700 a day then to up it. I doubt she's eating more than 20 oz of bm a day, and I know she's not getting 300 calories of food. But of course I get the token "maybe it's time to give up and switch to formula" from friends/family which is the comment I've always gotten since the beginning to solve reflux, sleeping problems, general grumpiness, and probably the sniffles and lack of hair too . But according to kellymom bm has more calories per oz than formula anyway, it's just tiring to constantly be told you should switch to formula b/c it will solve anything. In any case baby girl loves avocado and sweet potato, dr. said we could add butter to the sweet potato, and I picked up some Stonyfield Yo-Baby today, hope she likes that. It's all about her mood-today she only drank 4 oz at the sitter's, no apparent reason. So we'll just keep trying to make sure what does go in her tummy has as many calories as possible. Just had to rant a bit about the whole "formula fixes everything" attitude.
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

Default Re: Formula is the answer to everything (rant)

Has she recently been crawling? A lot of babies will slow down their weight gain after about 5-6mos. How are you and her daddy built? What has her weight gain been like?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

It's frustrating for people to discourage bfing! My little girl lost wt when I quit giving her bottle bm after a few days, got very lethargic and I had to go back to pumping 9-11x/day (which I still do now at almost 5 months). I just know she can't or doesn't remove milk well now but doesn't need formula. Does your lo have lots of energy and is healthy other than being small?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

That makes me angry too. As long as diapers are ok it sounds like your lo is fine. My dd is 15 months and barely 17lbs. But she's active and perfectly healthy - just small.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

It's totally normal for a BF baby's weight to level off around 6-7 months, particularly if they are mobile.

What isn't normal is the growth curve exhibited by FF babies, and that's the one normally used by doctors. If you google it, you can find one for BF babies, and that might make you feel better. I lost my link for it. (Hilary, where are you with all your links??)

My second baby dropped off the charts somewhere in the second half of his first year. What's more important, my doc said, was if he was meeting his milestones. If he had continued to drop off, then it would be cause for concern.

I would be very careful at introducing ANY dairy to a baby under 12 months in case of sensitivies or allergy. A great source of nutrition and fat is actually an avocado -- try that instead!

I must admit, I would be at a 12 lb 7 month old, but that's because my kids are 12 lbs at 5 weeks Each baby is different.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    It's totally normal for a BF baby's weight to level off around 6-7 months, particularly if they are mobile.

What isn't normal is the growth curve exhibited by FF babies, and that's the one normally used by doctors. If you google it, you can find one for BF babies, and that might make you feel better. I lost my link for it. (Hilary, where are you with all your links??)

My second baby dropped off the charts somewhere in the second half of his first year. What's more important, my doc said, was if he was meeting his milestones. If he had continued to drop off, then it would be cause for concern.

I would be very careful at introducing ANY dairy to a baby under 12 months in case of sensitivies or allergy. A great source of nutrition and fat is actually an avocado -- try that instead!

I must admit, I would be at a 12 lb 7 month old, but that's because my kids are 12 lbs at 5 weeks Each baby is different.
    Here is a link to the average growth pattern of breastfed babies that I picked up from someone on here a while ago...

My girl is small too - not as small as that, but still petite compared to her peers (even the breastfed ones out here, don't know what these moms are eating but everyone seems to have 20+ pound six month olds but me). As long as your baby is bright and energetic, and has good diaper output, tell 'em to stuff it!

Avocado is a great food, so are good nut butters (we like almond, I would just avoid peanut because I'm not a fan of it) for good fats and protein.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Yeah, I knew she was about the size of an average 3-month-old, even for BF infants. Her weight has always been low, started at 10% and dropped every visit. At 6 mos she was 3%, now off the curve. She has 5-6 wet diapers a day and since we got over the constipation issue she's having 2-3 dirty diapers a day . She doesn't crawl (despises being on her stomach at all), but since before birth she has always been incredibly active. No one has ever accused me of having a laid-back, calm baby! She spent the first 4 months bicycling her legs. Now she can pull up and bear her full weight on her legs. She's been sitting up unassisted since before 5 1/2 months, can feed herself finger food (even almost has the pincer grip), can drink from a sippy cup holding it by herself, so her milestones are great. She has four consonants too.

She does love avocado, and it's a good time of year for it, and WOW the Stonyfield Yo-Baby went over great, she ate a whole container since yesterday with no apparent negative effects. I hadn't thought about almond butter--the little bit of bread she had, she liked, so that could be a good idea. This morning she ate all my milk, then 2 cubes of prunes with oat cereal and bm, then finished off her Yo-Baby. She seems to have a little cold now so that's not helping but overall I think the calorie-stuffing project is going pretty well.
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

If she isn't getting enough calories you could always try adding a drop of canola or olive oil to her solids. We did that after our first was weaned from breastmilk and could only drink rice milk which is low fat (If I had known at the time she was allergic to milk I would have kept nursing). I would only add a drop though. My ped said it was fine since babies need fat for their brain to develop. She was over a year when I did that though.

An empathetic chiming in...I'm relatively new to these boards, but read alot. I'm mom to 7month old boy who is currently 15lb 2 oz. He's had severe reflux since literally day 1. I started out only breastfeeding, and he started at 6lb 5oz, was 5lb 12 oz when he left the hospital. He gained wt very very slowly, don't have the exact numbers, but at 4mos visit had fallen even further below the curve and our dr was alarmed. Rightly so. We had to go see the GI docs, whose only contribution was telling us to up the calories; add formula to pumped breastmilk (given by dad when I work), offer supplemental bottles after each feeding (including formula, because I can't keep up!) He's blossomed. He's back on the curve, he looks healthy, he's doing everything that he should (not that he ever wasn't). I look back at his old pictures and want to cry, because he looks like a little starving baby from some tv charity fundraiser. All this is to say, I know I had all sorts of excuses (he was a little preemie, the reflux, etc) that I fired off at people who commented (and lots of them did), none of which fixed the problem (which I kept trying to ignore). I got over some of the guilt by the diary the gi guys made us keep, which made me realize how many literal ounces and ounces of the "liquid gold" he was throwing up all day, and that it wasn't my fault. It's not your fault either, but my worry is that after weight starts falling off, then length, then head circumference (which is a stand in for brain growth). Try to keep an open mind to the point of what is being said, and not focus on the tone. We've been using milled flax seed for the extra calories and good fats, it gets mixed in to almost everything he eats. We're still bfing often, he's getting as much solids as he wants usually 2x a day, and I have come to peace with things.
    sorry for the length, but just feel passionately about this
    Rachel

We'd probably be in the same boat if Olivia hadn't started at 75%, lol. She's down to 10% now but no problems. She's just under 17# at almost 11 mos. I doubt she hits 18# by 1 like Evan did. Plus, she's a girl so that helps. Evan was this same size and had fallen off the charts at 8 mos.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)