Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cleaning pump at work

Default Re: cleaning pump at work

I have been pumping at work for about a month now. I have been rinsing out the horns without drying them not thinking the tap water is getting in the breast milk until I read one of the replys here. I feel stupid and I wonder if my baby is effected by this. This means every milk she's had that I pumped at work had tap water in it. I won't be rinsing out the horns anymore. Thanks for your reply.

I also do not have a fridge to put my milk so I keep it in my breast pump bag in a baby bottle with ice packs until I get home.
    Last edited by @llli*my1stbaby; January 8th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.

I pump three times during a 12 hour shift, and all I do is take the milk and pour it into a storage bag, put it in the fridge, then rinse out the horns and collection bottles with hot water, scrub a bit with my hands, rinse again, then store in a ziplock til I pump again. So far, no troubles!

I'm in your shoes...going back to work on tuesday after baby #2. The first time I was pretty casual about cleaning. Did NOT like the medela wipes and had the paper towel/drying issue you mention. I ended up rinsing my horns with hot hot water, shaking them good and letting them air dry in between pumping sessions. Never had a problem. The important thing for me was to let the pump run a minute or so after pumping to dry the tubes. Got kind of mildewy in there once or twice but I never felt like my milk was contaminated. Good luck!

Can the microwave steam thing be any brand/made for bottles or does it have to be Medela/pump specific?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtrucios View Post
    I used to pump twice a day at work and I used the Medela steam/clean bags between pumpings.
    these are a very nice cleaning option and each bag is good for up to 20 uses

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rebeccaeee View Post
    The important thing for me was to let the pump run a minute or so after pumping to dry the tubes. Got kind of mildewy in there once or twice but I never felt like my milk was contaminated. Good luck!
    it is not necessary nor is it recommended to wash the tubing since no milk should be getting inside of them anyway. if you do see milk in your tubing, chances are there is another problem and it's a good idea to get a new set anyway. i believe that washing can compromise the tubing filters as well.

i hope i don't come across sounding harsh (not my intent at all!), it's just that i am constantly having to issue new tubing and troubleshooting improperly working pumps caused by this.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Great advice from the PPs! If you're still concerned, you could buy more breastshields and take 2 or 3 clean ones to work every day. That way you'd always be pumping with clean parts. But I think that would be overkill.
    This is what I do. And I make DP clean the parts at night. I put them in a big ziploc bag after I use them. Plus our work sink is usually yucky. I feel this is easier and cleaner. I was trying to use one set and it added time to the whole thing

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ohiomama View Post
    these are a very nice cleaning option and each bag is good for up to 20 uses

it is not necessary nor is it recommended to wash the tubing since no milk should be getting inside of them anyway. if you do see milk in your tubing, chances are there is another problem and it's a good idea to get a new set anyway. i believe that washing can compromise the tubing filters as well.

i hope i don't come across sounding harsh (not my intent at all!), it's just that i am constantly having to issue new tubing and troubleshooting improperly working pumps caused by this.
    I think Rebeccaeee is referring to the condensation that occassionally builds up in the tubes during pumping...not actual milk in the tubing. I've read that elsewhere too...to run the pump a minute or two after you've finished to dry up the condensation that might have built up in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    I think Rebeccaeee is referring to the condensation that occassionally builds up in the tubes during pumping...not actual milk in the tubing. I've read that elsewhere too...to run the pump a minute or two after you've finished to dry up the condensation that might have built up in the tube.
    gotcha

just my little PSA of sorts to not wash tubing and potentially cause a different problem
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelpeach838 View Post
    Can the microwave steam thing be any brand/made for bottles or does it have to be Medela/pump specific?
    that's a good question. I would think any bag would be fine. i ahve the medela ones and really never ended up using them. I've gone a year with just washing all the parts at the end of the day in soapy water, replacing the tubes and valves occassionally.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Check out my blog! I wrote all about pumping at work
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy