Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medical Grade vs. Electric Pump

Default Medical Grade vs. Electric Pump

Hi Everyone,

I'm nursing my 3rd child and am going back to work on Monday. I had a lot of trouble pumping with my 2nd child and I'm hoping to try some new tactics this time that might help me the 3rd time around. I have a Medela Pump-in-Style (the original), but I can't seem to get much milk out...I have to squeeze my breasts and make the milk come out during a pumping session. I'm thinking of renting a hospital grade pump...are they really that much better?

I successfully breastfed my oldest daughter for 3 years (I was lucky to be a stay-at-home at this time so I didn't pump at all), my second for 1 year, and I desperately want to nurse my youngest for a full year, too. Help!

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Medical Grade vs. Electric Pump

I use a Medela Lactina Plus, which works great for me. The only other pump style I used was a manual one, so it took for ever to get any milk and my hand hurt so bad after I was done. Maybe you could rent a medical grade pump and see if it work for you.

I also have to compress my breast to get the milk to flow out of my right breast. A LC told me that compressing should be done and you will get more milk.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Default Re: Medical Grade vs. Electric Pump

I rented a Medela hospital grade pump for the first month and it worked fine, but when I realized I would be pumping exclusively, I purchased a Medela Pump in Style. It's just as good as the original hospital grade pump. I'm pumping almost a year and it has served me well considering all I do is pump, pump, pump. Maybe the newer models are working with better technology since you had your first child? I'm not sure if you want to spend more more on replacing it. Can you have the motor checked by Medela to make sure it's working optimally?