Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Average # of times for 7 m/o?

Default Average # of times for 7 m/o?

I just bumped my 7-month-old up to 2 solid feedings per day. She seems to really love it! No issues and has not rejected anything I've offered thus far (although I got some funny looks over the avocado).

Right now, she's getting about 2 tablespoons of food twice a day--once in the morning and once in the evening. I've tried counting how many times she nurses, but seriously I don't know how! Sometimes it's for 3 minutes, sometimes it's for 20. During the day, I'm going to guess about 6 times. Overnight is blurry since I'm half asleep during those sessions so am not always aware of when it's comfort sucking versus actual eating. Let's put it this way--she is velcroed to me me all night!

My question...what's the average # of nursing times for a 7-month-old, and how long does an average nursing session last. Do those 3-minute ones count as feeding?

I just don't want to dry up!!!
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Default Re: Average # of times for 7 m/o?

I don't have any suggestions for you mama, but I'm going through the same thing. My dd is 7 m/o and is LOVING solids She'll bf here and there, anywhere from 5 min. to 1 hr., bf to sleep at night (we co-sleep in order to get more zzzz), bf to nap during the day, sometimes she'll nurse before/after her solids, so it IS hard to keep track of how much they're getting. It's even harder when you can't physically see the amount of milk they're getting. I just remind myself that as long as she has good diaper output (mainly wet diapers) and isn't crying from hunger, isn't losing weight, seems to be growing (I can tell by her clothes getting smaller ), happy, curious, exploring and active (keeping you on your toes in the process )...I say she's getting enough.
    You could always keep a log for 24 hrs just to get an idea of when and how long your LO is eating.
    I'm giving dd about 1 to 1.5 jars of baby food/feeding and she's getting solids 2x/day on top of bfing. She's loving it! The minute she sees her bowl, spoon, baby food jar, or when we sit down for lunch/dinner, she'll let us know she wants her food, too
    Just remember, solids shouldn't REPLACE bfing. They should be given IN ADDITION to bfing. As long as you keep bfing your LO often and on demand (and she doesn't start weaning herself) she'll keep your supply going. You could always pump when you give her solids to kind of make up for what she's not taking at that specific feeding, or express some bm INTO her solids
    Good luck with the avacados. We're getting ready to try those in a couple of days.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; January 1st, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out the number of nursings per day... It seems like it should be so simple! I'm trying to pay attention more today and think I'm at #6...this includes like a 60-minute nursing session as well as like a 4-minute one. Sheesh!

Our LOs sound a lot alike. Like yours, mine also nurses down for naps and to sleep at night. I know she'll nurse at least twice over the course of our sleep. And heck yes cosleeping for more ZZZZs! I can't imagine any other way.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Maybe I'm just paranoid--something highly likely with my personality. I still nurse before all solid feedings and my breasts still feel pretty full...I guess I need to chill!

As for those avacados, I suggest having the camera handy for some funny faces. Heh. Good luck!

You're not paranoid, just being a concerned mommy. I know exactly how you feel. It gives you peace of mind if you know that someone is going through the same thing. Better safe than sorry, right? Especially if this is your first baby (like me) because you have NOTHING to compare to.
    I'm a SAHM to
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Exactly! Oh, and I just saw all your baby info in your siggy...our LOs are 4 days apart! May 22 here and yes, she's my first!

P.S. She finally just broke off from nursing in her sleep after about 75 minutes. I'm worried about my supply why?

Are you worried that it'll decrease when you start solids? Or overall?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Well, I know my milk bound to decrease over time as she gets older and eats more solids...that's what it's all about, right?

I was just curious about the "average" (whatever that means) number of times a 7 m/o nurses, and if those 3-minute sessions are actually enough to count as a nursing session. I don't want to dry up while she's still so young.

As long as you still make bfing the "main course" I think your supply should stay the way it is. The only reason it'll decrease is if you replace bfing times w/solids which shouldn't be the case.
    For example, I still bf my dd about every 3 hrs. but between those feedings is when I give her solids. So, if she normally eats at 11am, then around 2pm while EBFing, now she'd bf at 11am, have some solids like 1/2 jar green beans, 1/2 jar sweet potato, & maybe 1/2 jar applesauce if she "asked" for more , then bf between 2 and 3pm or whenever she was ready (I'm still nursing her on demand). The solids amount will vary because I read her cues depending on what she wants. Some days she'll only want 1/2 jar of something then become uninterested, other days she'll cry when she sees me put her bowl, spoon, or food away so I'll give a little more.
    Then for the evening, sometimes she'll just want to bf. If not, I'll bf around 5ish, give some solids at around 7pm, then bf her to sleep from 8pm on...until she's out around 9 or 930p.
    Just remember, none of their bfing sessions should be replaced by solids, that way you're supply isn't effected.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; January 3rd, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13