Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to give Avacados?

Default how to give Avacados?

Hi,

I have a 7 month old baby. She has been eating rice, oat cereal, carrot and sweet potatos so far. I give 2 meals a day.

I read that Avocados are one of the best foods for the baby. How do I give it?
    Should I just make a paste in the blender and give her?
    What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
    Sangita

Default Re: how to give Avacados?

Avocado is soft enough when it's ripe to just mash it with a fork.
    Or you could cut it into strips and just let the baby pick it up and mash it in their mouth.

It's a great first food. very nutritious! My DD loved them at that age. Once ate two whole avocados to herself!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

You can cut it in long thin strips and let her feed it to herself. If she has a hard time picking it up you can toss it in the dry cereal powder so it isn't as slippery. Or you could mush it up and give it to her on a spoon if you prefer, but at this age she'd probably do fine feeding herself.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

At first, I mashed very ripe avocados with a fork and let her grab at it herself.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Not to hijack...but, how many times did you have to try it before they ate it? I tried it with DD3 a few times back when we first started solids and she wouldn't eat it. I haven't tried again.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

To be honest, my LO never liked avocados. I offered them a lot because they are so nutrious and she just really wouldn't have it. After about 10 tries, I retired them altogether.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut