Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I going too slow?

Default Am I going too slow?

Ok, so we first tried sweet potato and Silas imediately became constipated so solids got tables for 2 weeks. Then applesauce seemed to be fine but he really only gets about 2-3 swallows. He still doesn't like the sensation of swallowing solids. He gets a willy/the shivers every single time. He has rejecting everything else we have given him and truthfully I don't make a point to give him foods consistantly. So he's 7 months now and all he has is some occasional applesauce/steamed apples.
    He's still gaining although that has slowed since he became so active, which I know is normal.

Do I need to ramp this up? Be more consistant? Do you all give solid foods at the same time everyday? At this rate he'll have a menu of 3 or 4 foods by one.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Am I going too slow?

If it makes you feel any better, we were totally inconsistent. If he's not interested, I wouldn't push it. With Lance, he wasn't too interested at 6 or 7 months, but by 10 months he was eating meals of table foods every meal and refused purees. He'll get there, I promise. You're giving him everything he needs for now by nursing him.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Baby will lead the way. When they are ready for solids they will start picking up little peices of food and putting them in thier mouths. Think back to when there were no pureed baby food or convenience jars. People gave samples of what they had on thier plates. Ask your grandma what and when she started solids with her kids. My grandma is 94 years old and nursed all 8 of her children. She is the best resource in my opinion. I think if you have 8 children in your own bed and breastfed all of them and still managed to run a home and didn't end up in a mental ward by the time it was over you did your job and share the knowledge

Seems okay to me and totally normal. We started OFFERING DS1 solids soon after he turned 6 mo but he really didn't eat much until he was more like 8.5 mo.

If baby isn't really ready & not showing interest in solids then IMO best to NOT push solids!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You may already know this, but my pediatrician told me that you sometimes have to offer the same food to a little one between 8-12 times before they'll say they like it! How odd is that? He said that's true of kids up to 12 years of age . . . so if your little one is still getting the willies from trying something, keep at it until you know you've offered it about 12 times - after that may be time to try something new.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I wouldn't stress Colleen. Have you looked into doing baby led solids so that Silas can regulate himself? My girls were all wanting to self feed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I wouldn't stress Colleen. Have you looked into doing baby led solids so that Silas can regulate himself? My girls were all wanting to self feed.
    I did! I gave him some steamed apple the other day and he ate a little of it. He got a shiver though still everytime he swallowed. I'm definitely on board with BLS. I'm gonna grab an avacado on the way home for this weekend to try out. I'm gonna be sending purees (that I make) to my SIL though on the 3 days he's there. I do trust her (my bro is a paramedic for G*d's sake) but I'm just a little nervous here at the beginning to allow BLS when I'm not there.

I think the issue for us will be keeping better foods in the house. Good thing it's a new year and all the junk gets tossed in the morning . Phase 2 of the healthy family plan (phase one was quit smoking) is in full effect in the morning!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Lu's kinda sorta interested, but only if she can feed herself and not much makes it in. I think she's more into the texture of things rather than the taste. He'll get there.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*precioustori View Post
    You may already know this, but my pediatrician told me that you sometimes have to offer the same food to a little one between 8-12 times before they'll say they like it! How odd is that? He said that's true of kids up to 12 years of age . . . so if your little one is still getting the willies from trying something, keep at it until you know you've offered it about 12 times - after that may be time to try something new.
    I missed this post! I have heard that before too! TFS!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

We started BLS at about 7 months but he wasn't really eating (not even a few bites a day) until about a year. We offered him food that we were eating and other food we thought he would like but he just wasn't interested. We were totally inconsistent until 8 or 9 months. He is still (19/20 months) not a great eater but he is following his weight curve so no problems.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.