Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How does an exclusive pumper wean?

Default How does an exclusive pumper wean?

How does an exclusive pumper wean?? My schedule is as follows:
    1) 5:30 a.m. before work
    2) 10:30 a.m. at work during a break
    3) 4:00 p.m. after picking up baby from daycare
    4) 10:30 p.m. before lights out for me
    I am an exhausted mommy. Pumping takes a lot out of me. I feel and look drained after each session. My baby will be a year old on January 14th. I've been exclusively pumping since she was three weeks old. I never want to see that pump again after I finish giving my baby her liquid gold. I would love to go on and on but I just can't picture myself married to that pump for much longer. Has anyone exclusively pumped out there? I really want to hear from those of you who have experienced this phenomenon because it really is one. None of my breastfeeding friends have a clue to the amount of work and time commitment exclusive breastpumping is. Please let me know your exeriences and suggestions if you have done this beyond a year...

Default Re: How does an exclusive pumper wean?

does your LO drink cows milk (or the like) are they good with solids?

I think (no authority) that you would do it like regular weaning and cut out one session every few weeks while offering LO other calcium rich foods and liquids.

Hi mama. Yes, there are several mothers on here that for one reason or another EP or did EP. I did for two months after my son was born 8 weeks early, and then I had to start up again when he was about 10 months old and I finally stopped at 21 months.

It is definitely work, but doable. I found it did get easier after he started eating more and drinking cow's milk as I wasn't tied to the pump what seemed like all day long. At the time we weaned, I was still pumping 2x a day, then slowly went to one, then one day none.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I do not have an answer for you but great job on exclusivley pumping!!! I know it is really difficult!! you rock!!
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

I have been EP'ing for 8 months and am going through the same feelings and questions. Finding some support on these forums is helping me stay inspired to keep at it. At this point, I would have to wean to (gasp) formula which I feel bad doing. However, with full time work and lots of travel in my schedule, I just started feeling like it is "time." Over the past few weeks, I started trying just a bit of formula (mabybe an oz or two) mixed with BM in a couple bottles a day - just to see if he would be okay if I reduced the numbers of times I pump each day. My son did not like the first formula, but seems to be ok with another kind. I can't quite get myself to transistion him more though. At least have a good sized freezer stash in case totalling weaning takes some time.

You have done a great job making it to a year! Maybe I can too. Seems like each month, I just say ok...one more month. I would think being able to wean to cow's milk would be easier so hopefully this will go well for you both. Best of luck!!!

My LO is not yet on cow's milk and I'd like to wait for the pediatrician's input before I introduce it. I don't see him until the first week of February so I still have a few more weeks of my pumping schedule. My LO still drinks four times a day about 5 to 7 ounces AND is a voracios solids eater! I don't feel like using a sippy cup yet because the liquid gold is difficult enough for me to produce, and I hate the idea of her learning on BM with all the spills and potential accidents. I don't see her lessening her bottles but I do notice she leaves a couple of ounces unfinished at least once a day. When the time comes to introduce cow's milk, do you mix it with BM?

I just started by cutting out a session every week or so. Once I got down to 2 sessions I started cutting the time of each pumping session. I had a little bit of help from pregnancy hormones though. When I started to wean from the pump after 16 months or so of EPing I was in my first trimester of pregnancy. It was getting so that I was getting less and less each time anyway.

Congrats on EPing so long. It is hard work and most women would have given up long ago.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I wish I had some advice for you to help wean. But I think it would be the same as a BF baby.

I hope I can pump for as long as you have. Good luck
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!