Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dont know whats goin on...

Default dont know whats goin on...

soo i got an evenflo pump(just read in a previous post those are no good but it was a gift from my momma n i feel bad telling her that) but anyway its a single so i thought id pump one side while he's nursing on the other since he only nurses on one side at each feeding. the first time i pumped i got almost 3oz out of each but since then it seems like im gettin less n less out... a couple times i switched him during feedings so i could pump both... am i doin it wrong or is it the pump?
    Very Proud Momma to Joshua James
    11/1/09 10 lbs 9 oz
    , , & loving it!
    I'm all about AP

Default Re: dont know whats goin on...

Could be the pump. I'm not familiar with that brand of pump, but even nicer pumps like higher-end Madela ones (that aren't hospital grade) lose suction after awhile. You might also be able to call the company to troubleshoot to see if something is connected wrong, but I'm not sure how Evenflo's customer service is.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

well i just got it for christmas lol. i hope it didnt lose its suction already!
    11/1/09 10 lbs 9 oz
    , , & loving it!
    I'm all about AP

Mamas who pump and nurse get between .5 and 2 oz for both breasts per session. Remember that your baby is removing the milk they need and the pumping is just "extra".

Also, it can depend on the time of day that you pump. If you need to build up a stash to return to work or something, you could try adding a pump only session at night, when prolactin levels are highest. You may not get much at first, but after a few days your body should start making the milk for that session.

HTH
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

with pp. I used a PISA so thats what I am familiar with but my question is why are you pumping is it to build up a freezer stash? and are you only pumping one breast at a time b/c baby is nursing on the other?

yeah its basically for when i wanna go out or have a drink, that kind of thing. n yes i pump one side while he's nursing on the other.
    11/1/09 10 lbs 9 oz
    , , & loving it!
    I'm all about AP

well if you want A (single) drink you can still nurse.

I dont mean to be a wet blanket on going out but at this point your milk production is still fragile so if you are away from baby you have to pump for the missed feeding. i.e. pump while out having fun. I felt it was too much of a hassle and went out very limited w.o baby at first.

yeah i agree i wont be goin out for a while i just wanna be prepared for when i do
    11/1/09 10 lbs 9 oz
    , , & loving it!
    I'm all about AP

If you are going to be going back to work you will definitely want a double pump like the PISA or something like that. It will cut your pumping time and be more effective.