Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Playtex Nurser Bottles suddenly NOT working!!

Default Playtex Nurser Bottles suddenly NOT working!!

I am EP that is having major issues with my bottles. We started out with Avent and Nuby bottles, both ended up being to fast for my lo and after doing some research I decided to try the Playtex Natralatch silicone nipples slow flow. They have to be used with the Playtex Nurser bottles with drop-ins. We started using them a week ago and they worked great, flow was perfect and no problems. Then yesterday things started going awry!! The drop-ins started falling out of the bottles. I have lost about 12 oz of BM total now from this happening and am about to have a nervous breakdown, just ask my husband

This is so frustrating because we don't know why this is happening. I tried heating the bm in a separate container and then pouring it in the drop-in and it slipped out again this morning. I tried again and the second time heated it in water that wasn't as warm and it worked. Last night I tried using a brand new drop-in and when I tightened the lid and picked the bottle up the drop-in just basically fell out the bottom??? The only thing that I can think of is that the bm is possibly too warm and may be causing the ring of the drop-in to collapse in on itself?? I always check the bottle before giving it to my lo and it's usually just right temperature wise, obviously. I usually just place it in a warm bowl of water to heat but in the past my husband has heated water on the stove and warmed the bottle with no problems so I can't understand why it would be causing a problem now. We weren't really paying attention to how hot the water was before but I know I was making sure that the stuff coming out of the tap was fairly hot and we hadn't had any problems until yesterday??

Could it be the drop-ins are faulty?? I am using from the same box that I started from so I don't think that is the problem and when I seat them in the bottle they seem to fit securely. I tried contacting playtex but of course they aren't in until Monday and I need to feed my baby now!! I am terrified to feed him again because if I lose more bm I am going to be so so upset!! I would just go buy a different bottle if anyone had a recommendation. But, again, these were fine until yesterday so what the heck?? We are perplexed and any input would be greatlly appreciated!!

Default Re: Playtex Nurser Bottles suddenly NOT working!!

I use the drop-ins and have not had a problem. However, I do not try to squeeze the air out. We just use it with the liner as is it were a regular bottle. I think the top ring can fold in sometimes if you try to get all the air out. Do you think this might be the case?
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

I think that the problem is that I am tightening the lid too much. The bottle leaked the other day so I kept putting the lid on really tight. I did a little experiment and tightened it down really tight with water in it and sure enough, it collapsed in on itself. I'm hoping that that was the problem!! I did push the air out a couple of times but don't do it any longer because it did explode once. We haven't had any problems the last few times that we have fed him(since my husband was preparing the bottles!!), apparently I'm just too strong

Too funny and hope that fixes it! I had problems with a few leaking when I wasn't tightening enough so I see why you might be tightening too much. Good luck....we are still using these at 9 months so have been pretty happy with them!
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

Glad it worked out! Use that strength to help you DH open jars.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I've been using these and haven't had a problem. I put the milk in the liner cold and heat the whole bottle up in a cup of hot tap water.

FYI..I've been using the Target brand liners at half the cost of the Playtex ones and haven't seen any difference in them.