Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freeze milk in bottles?

Default Freeze milk in bottles?

Just wondering if anyone freezes their stash in bottles instead of milk storage bags, or even if it is okay to do this. I am currently using Lansinoh bags, but I have a (probably irrational) fear of them leaking. When I pumped for my son I used Gerber bags or whatever else was cheap, and most of them leaked. Bottles may also work better for my DH and oldest daughter when it comes to thawing milk and getting it in a bottle, as it is sometimes difficult to "swirl" a bag to get all the hindmilk mixed back in, and then there's the issue of them pouring from the bag into a bottle, and the possible spills that can occur. I am so worried that they will burn through my hard earned stash when I return to work, so I need to make things as easy as possible for them.

Default Re: Freeze milk in bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ncmommyof4 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone freezes their stash in bottles instead of milk storage bags, or even if it is okay to do this. I am currently using Lansinoh bags, but I have a (probably irrational) fear of them leaking. When I pumped for my son I used Gerber bags or whatever else was cheap, and most of them leaked. Bottles may also work better for my DH and oldest daughter when it comes to thawing milk and getting it in a bottle, as it is sometimes difficult to "swirl" a bag to get all the hindmilk mixed back in, and then there's the issue of them pouring from the bag into a bottle, and the possible spills that can occur. I am so worried that they will burn through my hard earned stash when I return to work, so I need to make things as easy as possible for them.
    I use bags, I pump into bottles and then pour them into the bags to freeze. I feel that they're less likely to break the bottle that way. You know - frozen expanding the bottles and cracking them. I use the Medela bags and have never had a problem with them leaking.

I use bottles- mostly the 80ml storage containers. My Lo is only 4 months though. I'm picking up some baby food jars to use as well. I just can't deal with leaking, especially with such expensive bags.

I use the Lansinoh bags and none have leaked. I did freeze milk in a bottle once and DH said it took forever to thaw. He preferred the bags. As for swirling in a bag, DH just turned the bag up and down a few times.
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)