Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt/Condiments ?? is it bad?

Default Salt/Condiments ?? is it bad?

let me begin with the my DS has been eating really well up until a week ago. his gums were really swollen and i noticed that the top tooth broke through a two days ago. i have attempted to feed him every which way possible and he pushes my hand away. he will eat a cracker without a problem though. my DS is now 8.5mo and it seems that he isnt interested in eating smooshy food anymore. maybe ever since i gave him a cracker, he seems to like the texture. last night i had some chicken with rice carrots and pees mixed in a soup. while i was eating, he seemed so interested so i tried to give him a spoonfull and he loved it and wanted more.
    i was a little hesitant because it had salt in it...

i get mixed answers and wanted to know what your thoughts were..

Thanks!!

Default Re: Salt/Condiments ?? is it bad?

If you make your food without adding any salt and give him that (adding salt to your own portion only), it is best. Babies have a very low needed salt intake, too much can eventually damage their kidneys. A bit here and there won't be bad, you just don't want to make it a part of their regular diet. There is sodium in food already, so if you feed them somethign salty or with a higher sodium content, you should restrict their salt intake more the next day or so.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Their livers can't process salt at all before their first b-day. So all that they are eating is accumulating. Babies should NOT be fed anything but WHOLE SOLID foods before their first b-day period. Nothing processed which really includes bread. But if you MUST feed bread it needs to at least be whole grain. Things that are bleached like saltines have NO nutritional value at all and the added sodium. Feed your child Fruits and veggies and rice if you want whole grain in the mix. Although we didn't add grain into the mix until after month nine. But that was because of dexterity. Apple slices are great teething things. As are frozen cubes of watermelon. If it comes out of a box or bag, don't feed it to your baby. Keep it simple. Whole foods in their unprocessed form. Salt is BAD and dangerous for babies. And yes people will tell you stories about how they did it and their kid is just fine. Which is true. How LUCKY for them! But if you KNOW that it can damage your infants kidneys, IMO you should not risk it.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; December 30th, 2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Kidneys not liver!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Their livers can't process salt at all before their first b-day. So all that they are eating is accumulating. Babies should NOT be fed anything but WHOLE SOLID foods before their first b-day period. Nothing processed which really includes bread. But if you MUST feed bread it needs to at least be whole grain. Things that are bleached like saltines have NO nutritional value at all and the added sodium. Feed your child Fruits and veggies and rice if you want whole grain in the mix. Although we didn't add grain into the mix until after month nine. But that was because of dexterity. Apple slices are great teething things. As are frozen cubes of watermelon. If it comes out of a box or bag, don't feed it to your baby. Keep it simple. Whole foods in their unprocessed form. Salt is BAD and dangerous for babies. And yes people will tell you stories about how they did it and their kid is just fine. Which is true. How LUCKY for them! But if you KNOW that it can damage your infants liver, IMO you should not risk it.
    I've read all sorts of things about it causing kidney trouble, but I haven't seen anything about liver. Could you give me some sources so I can read up? Appreciate any information, infant nutrition is one of the hardest things I've tried to read about.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

No. Sorry you are right. Didn't mean to extra freak you out. It's kidney and brain damage that can be done with too much salt. And infant under 12 months need LESS THAN ONE GRAM A DAY. You should be shooting to give than less that ONE GRAM A DAY. Which is IMPOSSIBLE if they are eating any kind of processed food.

Way too lazy for formula

Are frozen veggies as bad about sodium content as canned veggies are? Or is my best bet to stay clear of the salt getting fresh produce?
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*precioustori View Post
    Are frozen veggies as bad about sodium content as canned veggies are? Or is my best bet to stay clear of the salt getting fresh produce?
    Fresh veggies are your best bet.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    No. Sorry you are right. Didn't mean to extra freak you out. It's kidney and brain damage that can be done with too much salt. And infant under 12 months need LESS THAN ONE GRAM A DAY. You should be shooting to give than less that ONE GRAM A DAY. Which is IMPOSSIBLE if they are eating any kind of processed food.
    I do BLS and I have not stuck to just fruit and veg. Daisy has some cheese, meat, eggs, milk, grains, rice, cereal etc etc Basically she has just what we have. I manage her salt intake very carefully and find it is not impossible if you are sensible about amounts you offer and what is offered throughout the day, particularly as they eat very small amounts anyway at this age.

I don't add salt (never have done) to food I am cooking and I check salt content of food very carefully and calculate her intake throughout the course of th day. I do not feed her junk food/highly processed food like ready meals etc because that would be high in all things bad not just salt.

You are so right that it can cause damage, but I do not think babies need to be limited in what they eat as 1 gram of salt can go along way, as I have found. I say trust your instincts, offer a balanced diet - after all eating just fruit and veg all the time could have consequences just as only eating processed junk - and then let your child choose what they want from what is offered.

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*daisysmum View Post
    I do BLS and I have not stuck to just fruit and veg. Daisy has some cheese, meat, eggs, milk, grains, rice, cereal etc etc Basically she has just what we have. I manage her salt intake very carefully and find it is not impossible if you are sensible about amounts you offer and what is offered throughout the day, particularly as they eat very small amounts anyway at this age.

I don't add salt (never have done) to food I am cooking and I check salt content of food very carefully and calculate her intake throughout the course of th day. I do not feed her junk food/highly processed food like ready meals etc because that would be high in all things bad not just salt.

You are so right that it can cause damage, but I do not think babies need to be limited in what they eat as 1 gram of salt can go along way, as I have found. I say trust your instincts, offer a balanced diet - after all eating just fruit and veg all the time could have consequences just as only eating processed junk - and then let your child choose what they want from what is offered.
    I also did BLS.
    But this is what I am talking about. Processed food. Nothing you mentioned comes out of a box. (Except milk sometimes I guess) I didn't give my child whole milk or even attempt it until after a year. Because you aren't supposed to. It's very hard on their system before that. We only did skim organic string cheese because it had the LOWEST amount of sodium in it. None the other foods you mention here are processed foods so far as I can tell.
    And no, eating just fresh fruits and veggies AS AN EBF infant has no negative consequences AT ALL. Since a child's nutrition for the first year of life should be coming entirely from your milk. Solid food is supposed to be for fun and experimentation at that point. I certainly added in meat MONTHS after I started which is a whole food. We are talking about what you are feeding a child when they are learning to eat. And in the beginning it should be whole fruits and veggies. Those should be first foods. And then incrementally there are things that get added in. Meat was month nine I believe. And poultry first. NO Pork until after the year point because of the salt. And We didn't do eggs or strawberries or anything citrusey like oranges or tomatoes until the year point because there were risks that were reduced by waiting until the year point.
    And certainly a child should have lots of choices. That is how you get a healthy eater. And we also have him eating what we ate. BUT we started making WAY healthier choices and STILL stuff had to be left out of what he got to choose from. Like if we had cob salad we would put Lettuce, chicken and cheese on his plate. The Bacon, tomatoes and olives got left out of his choices. Because of the salt content in olives and bacon and the citrus in tomatoes.
    He we had spaghetti he would get whole wheat pasta and plain ground turkey. No Tomato sauce and no garlic bread. Things like that. So he ate what we ate. But not Everything that we ate. And we ate considerably better after he began BLS. And solids can be very overwhelming for people. So IME keeping it simple while navigating real risks is important.

Way too lazy for formula

I think we have to do what is right within our hearts. You are definitely doing that, I can see. I agree with a lot of what you have said, but I have also made different choices.

For example I have not steered away from any foods like strawberries etc because we have no food allergies in our family nor have I introduced food at particular months feeling that Daisy will eat it when she is ready anyway. I have merely followed Gill Rapley's book 'Baby-led weaning' and she does not talk about this. But reflecting on it, I don't feel I would do anything differently if there is a next time...!

I don't think either way is more right than wrong, just different, but essentially all I wanted to express was that while too much salt is definitely bad, whatever age you are, a small amount of salt in the diet is ok. And yes doing BLS does help you reflect on your own diet and make better choices.

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09