Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy "Contact" Allergy?

Question Dairy "Contact" Allergy?

Hi Ladies,

My DD is a little over 7 months old. My pediatrician suggested I try giving her some YoBaby yogurt, as a way of introducing new things into her solids diet. I've noticed after feeding her some yogurt, she has what appear to be hives around her mouth (where the yogurt has made contact). I've also noticed this happen with other solids that contain any form of dairy. Anyone else experience this? How long does it last? Anything I should know? I've done some research on the internet already, but wanted to get some information from real people who have experienced this.

I will note that the skin irritation is the only thing that occurs...she has no trouble swallowing/breathing after eating the dairy.

Thanks!

Default Re: Dairy "Contact" Allergy?

I would call hives an allergic reaction, not a contact rash. Are they raised?

If they are raised and not just a slightly reddish mark, then I would pull all dairy, including from your diet if you are still nursing, and call the pedi or allergist and ask for a RAST test(from pedi) and possibly a skin prick test from an allergist.

There are 2 mamas on here who have children that are very allergic to dairy and they had the exact same experience as you are describing.

And, if your lo is allergic, she may get hives this time, but next time it could cause breathing problems. The reactions can change with each exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    I would call hives an allergic reaction, not a contact rash. Are they raised?

If they are raised and not just a slightly reddish mark, then I would pull all dairy, including from your diet if you are still nursing, and call the pedi or allergist and ask for a RAST test(from pedi) and possibly a skin prick test from an allergist.

There are 2 mamas on here who have children that are very allergic to dairy and they had the exact same experience as you are describing.

And, if your lo is allergic, she may get hives this time, but next time it could cause breathing problems. The reactions can change with each exposure.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thank you!

My DH said they are a bit raised. Called our pediatrician and are waiting for a call back.

What does the rash look like? Is it raised bumps or generally red with tiny bumps.

My DD has a severe dairy allergy. I didn't take it seriously enough at first - thinking it was only an intolerance. But each time we 'tried again' the reaction got worse. Her first reactions did not include breathing trouble, but eventually they did. It is extremely scary and we now have epipens for her.

I would really recommend getting your LO tested. I didn't pull dairy from my diet - at the time I thought she wasn't reacting to my milk, so I didn't think it was necessary. But she ended up self-weaning early and looking back I see that there were signs of her reacting to my milk. They just weren't blatantly obvious. IMO cutting dairy from my diet would have been a lot easier and a lot cheaper than having to find supplements and worrying about nutrition.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Any sort of RAISED RASH is HIVES and is an ALLERGIC REACTION.

I would IMMEDIATELY STOP ALL FORMS OF DAIRY FOR BOTH YOUR LO AND YOU.

I don't want to scare you - but the reality is that food allergy reactions are unpredictable. The next time your LO is exposed to dairy she might have an anaphylactic reaction.

As soon as you can, I recommend that you make an appointment with an allergist who specializes in food allergies and children.

Our food allergy journey started with my DS1 "only" getting contact reactions from yogurt. I stupidly kept trying the food again instead of recognizing it as a symptom of an allergic reaction.

My LO NEVER had any *obvious* symptoms via breastmilk and we didn't find out about his food allergies until after he started solids.

It took me 3 months from that first reaction to finally get DS1 to an allergist and I'm still kicking myself for not acting sooner.

Our story

Similar food allergy story that started with yogurt contact reaction
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-blue-eyes View Post
    at the time I thought she wasn't reacting to my milk
    My DS1 didn't have any *obvious* food allergy symptoms when exclusively breastfed. He did have ezcema, chronic junky nose & occasional mucusy poops. All of which cleared up after we COMPLETELY eliminated ALL dairy from BOTH his and my diets.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    My DS1 didn't have any *obvious* food allergy symptoms when exclusively breastfed. He did have ezcema, chronic junky nose & occasional mucusy poops. All of which cleared up after we COMPLETELY eliminated ALL dairy from BOTH his and my diets.
    Yep looking back I see soo many signs - DD spat up tons... everyone kept telling me it was normal and babies spit up. But I never understood how anyone used those burp cloths if it was normal. I used a receving blanket folded THICK to protect my shirt so much came up.

She had a HUGE patch of ezcema on her right bum cheek... basically covering the cheek. Coincidently went away within days of her self-weaning.

She was a horrible sleeper, and the more we nursed the mroe she woke. We ended up cosleeping when she was waking every 3 hrs again and that led to her waking every hour on the hour.

She had occassionally mucousy poops, and runny noses but I always brushed them off as nothing since they didn't last.

Allergies can be a pain to deal with - but it's much better to deal with them than ignore them and end up with a anaphylactic reaction 'out of the blue'.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Thank you all for your replies and the great information. I would respond to each person, however, I am relatively new to this site and not sure how to respond to multiple people, using multiple quotes in the response. Not even sure how to make a signature. Just didn't want to seem informal.

Anyhow, my pediatrician is "off" until after the New Year, so we could only speak to an office assistant, who relayed information from another doctor, back to my DH and I.

To make a long story short, I was told to stop giving her all dairy (DUH!!) and that she couldn't be tested for a dairy allergy until she was a year old. I asked if this sort of allergy was common and she couldn't even answer my question. I'm pretty upset. I think we need to switch pediatricians. I was also told that I do not need to avoid dairy, as my milk "doesn't become cow's milk" because I eat dairy and feed her. A bit condescending, no?

I will avoid all dairy and will not give her anymore. I do want to note that she has not exhibited ANY of the other signs you all gave - mucusy poops, runny nose, excessive spitting up, etc. Not sure if that is helpful information or not.

This may seem like a silly question, but do you think this dairy allergy will be permanent? Can children "grow out of" this type of thing? As my DH asked me, "have we ruined" my DD for giving her dairy?

I'm feeling so lost. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my questions! Thank you so much!

Jen

Short response I'm on iPod

You didn't cause allergy by giving dairy or you eating dairy

Many food proteins pass to baby in breast milk so usual recommendation is for mom to avoid foods baby is allergic to

yes you can allergy test before one year - see link above to find allergist

come over to the allergy part of the forum for lots of resources
    Lynn