Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of advice.

Default Re: In need of advice.

Some LC's will disagree with this but this is what worked for me. An LC showed me this with my first son (13 years ago) I have flat nipples or I should say I had flat nipples. After nursing for years with my two older boys they are no longer flat. Try squishing your nipple together and shoving it in your lo's mouth to get as much as possible in there. Start like you are hand expressing and when you sqeeze together tickle the baby's mouth until he opens wide then bring baby to breast...not breast to baby. Since you have been giving bottles you might want to try with baby sleepy or in the bath tub. There are a lot of ways to get the baby back to breast. You need to relax as hard as it may be. You are probably tense when you are trying because in the back of your head your saying "please latch" just take a few deap breaths and try to think "if baby latches great, if not we will try again later" keep trying! It may take some time. Go to LLL meetings. The women will help you. Being around other nursing mothers will help calm you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*exclusivepumper View Post
    Yes, she is getting the best stuff in the world. I feel your pain as I am sitting here pumping away... I tried to have my daughter latch on but I have one flat and one inverted nipple. I had help in the hospital and I hired a private LC. We did our best but my daughter wanted nothing to do with a nipple shield. At three weeks of age, the LC and I decided to exclusively pump with hopes that she might come back to the breast after having pumping draw out my nipples. It was avery difficult time for me. And now I'm pumping for eleven months with a road of ups and downs--and I'm still going... If you decide to go this route, there are many things to consider so I hope you're getting support and encouragement. I'm now wondereing how to wean an exclusively pumping baby? Keep me posted on your road! Best of luck and wishes to you!
    Thank you for your reply. I know pump is so hard, but I am getting help now so I am feeling better about pumping. Did your baby girl ever nurse? And how did you keep yourself going for a year? I just hope I can pump for 9 month or more. What was it like when she was up running around, how did you ever get to pump your milk out at that time?
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    Some LC's will disagree with this but this is what worked for me. An LC showed me this with my first son (13 years ago) I have flat nipples or I should say I had flat nipples. After nursing for years with my two older boys they are no longer flat. Try squishing your nipple together and shoving it in your lo's mouth to get as much as possible in there. Start like you are hand expressing and when you sqeeze together tickle the baby's mouth until he opens wide then bring baby to breast...not breast to baby. Since you have been giving bottles you might want to try with baby sleepy or in the bath tub. There are a lot of ways to get the baby back to breast. You need to relax as hard as it may be. You are probably tense when you are trying because in the back of your head your saying "please latch" just take a few deap breaths and try to think "if baby latches great, if not we will try again later" keep trying! It may take some time. Go to LLL meetings. The women will help you. Being around other nursing mothers will help calm you as well.
    A LC at the hospital and the WIC office showed me to squish the nipple, which works. She latched on a few times, but didn't suck I think because the nipple didn't go back far enough to make her suck. I am was having a hard time remembering to bring baby to the breast. I wanted her to BF so I would take the breast to her. Relaxing is so hard. I am okay the first few times, but soon I get upset because it's not working. I was thinking about going to LLL meetings, but I am very shy person, but at the same time I know that it will help me and I know I would feel a lot better if I just went.

I was going to try putting her to my breast every once in a while when she wasn't starved or fussy to see if she would take to my nipple but she developed thrush and I had the infection on my nipple. In order to avoid passing the infection back and forth, I did not attempt putting her to my nipple for a number of weeks. Never mind the constant boiling/sterilizing of everything during that time!!!! So I was forced to pump without attempting to get her back on the breast. I got so used to my pumping schedule (every 4 to 5 hours) that it became an automatic. It was routine for me. I did try to get her back to my breast after a couple of weeks after the infection cleared but she wanted nothing to do with it. I believe that if I had tried earlier and if I didn't have the infection maybe she could have latched. I was very fortunate to match my pumping schedule with her naps when she was not mobile. When she began crawling and moving around, I used the high chair with special favorite toys to keep her occupied or a teether biscuit. I also used the jumperoo to keep her stationary. And I try to get her to nap when I have to pump. That's the only sure way to pump with full attention. If she was awake, I'd play her favorite music CD and hope she'd play indepently until I was done. I had a lot of tricks to keep her preoccupied. I hope this helps a little bit. If you stay true to your pumping schedule, your production will never diminish. You'll be able to establish a routine and it will just be what you do on a daily basis. All your appointments, visits, trips to the store will revolve around your pumping schedule. It is doable. And eventually, you'll pump less as time goes on so it gets easier. I promise. Sorry for the long drawl...best of luck!

My story is so very similar....flat nipples, a baby that had to get a bottle early on, the emotional stress of a baby refusing to nurse! Hang in there and just keep trying! I have a friend with twins that kept at it and finally got them both nursing at 10 weeks. Unfortunately, I was not able to get my son to latch, but I have been able to pump successfully for 8 months while working full time with lots of travel. Just remember that you are doing the very best for your baby and take it one day at a time. No matter what, she will love you completely!

At the WIC office, they helped me get closer to breastfeeding. I know how to hold the bottle in a way that the milk just won't flow to her mouth, she now has to move foward as if to a breast and she has to work on sucking the milk from the bottle. I guess I am okay with her only using the bottle, just my dream of breastfeeding has to change a little. But all around I know she is getting the best stuff in the world.[/QUOTE]

question: how are you to hold the bottle so the milk won't flow to her mouth? just want to see if i am doing it right.

Great advice @llli*exclusivepumper I find it hard during the day to pump sometimes if the baby is being fussy and will not sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*exclusivepumper View Post
    I was going to try putting her to my breast every once in a while when she wasn't starved or fussy to see if she would take to my nipple but she developed thrush and I had the infection on my nipple. In order to avoid passing the infection back and forth, I did not attempt putting her to my nipple for a number of weeks. Never mind the constant boiling/sterilizing of everything during that time!!!! So I was forced to pump without attempting to get her back on the breast. I got so used to my pumping schedule (every 4 to 5 hours) that it became an automatic. It was routine for me. I did try to get her back to my breast after a couple of weeks after the infection cleared but she wanted nothing to do with it. I believe that if I had tried earlier and if I didn't have the infection maybe she could have latched. I was very fortunate to match my pumping schedule with her naps when she was not mobile. When she began crawling and moving around, I used the high chair with special favorite toys to keep her occupied or a teether biscuit. I also used the jumperoo to keep her stationary. And I try to get her to nap when I have to pump. That's the only sure way to pump with full attention. If she was awake, I'd play her favorite music CD and hope she'd play indepently until I was done. I had a lot of tricks to keep her preoccupied. I hope this helps a little bit. If you stay true to your pumping schedule, your production will never diminish. You'll be able to establish a routine and it will just be what you do on a daily basis. All your appointments, visits, trips to the store will revolve around your pumping schedule. It is doable. And eventually, you'll pump less as time goes on so it gets easier. I promise. Sorry for the long drawl...best of luck!
    My issue is, she wakes up when I start to pump at times and it fustrates me so much. Grrrr. But you do have some great tips that I will be trying. I guess I never thought about when she got older how would I find the time to pump. I am working on making a schedule, but I have a hard time going more than two hours without pumping. When I go three hours during the day I don't get as much milk as I would if I pump my two hours. I have so many questions about pumping in the later months, and I felt so alone, so I if I ask you too many question, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cynn View Post
    My story is so very similar....flat nipples, a baby that had to get a bottle early on, the emotional stress of a baby refusing to nurse! Hang in there and just keep trying! I have a friend with twins that kept at it and finally got them both nursing at 10 weeks. Unfortunately, I was not able to get my son to latch, but I have been able to pump successfully for 8 months while working full time with lots of travel. Just remember that you are doing the very best for your baby and take it one day at a time. No matter what, she will love you completely!
    I had this idea that made me feel better about pumping think that some day she will latch. I will keep trying. I just hate pumping sometimes. Like today I get more milk on me than the stupid bottle and she wouldn't stop crying while I pumped so I was short 2 oz. I know I am doing good for her, that's why I still keep pumping. Thanks for your words.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*patriciato View Post
    At the WIC office, they helped me get closer to breastfeeding. I know how to hold the bottle in a way that the milk just won't flow to her mouth, she now has to move foward as if to a breast and she has to work on sucking the milk from the bottle. I guess I am okay with her only using the bottle, just my dream of breastfeeding has to change a little. But all around I know she is getting the best stuff in the world.
    question: how are you to hold the bottle so the milk won't flow to her mouth? just want to see if i am doing it right.[/QUOTE]
    You have to hold the bottle horizontally so the milk doesn’t just flow into her mouth, but she has to suck as if she were at the breast. She has to move forward to the bottle as well.

The LC I worked with also suggested teasing the chin or lower lip when bottle feeding to make my son open wide and "latch" correctly on the bottle.
    If you are trying to pump every two hrs, I don't think you should have to stick to this too long. At 1-2 months, I think I was pumping every 3-4 hrs. You just have to stay consistent at first to establish a good supply. My son was very much a "want to be held all the time" baby which made pumping very stressful if not seemingly impossible to find 20 min when I didn't have to hold him. Here are some things that worked for me:

*Pumping was my top priority. Anytime I had someone to help, I would go pump. As soon as my son would fall asleep, I would pump. Even if it meant going a bit early or late according to the schedule.
    *The LC I worked with showed me how to set the Lactina pump I rented to "let down" and then stronger regular pumping settings (this pump does not automatically do so like the pump in style or symphony). This greatly increase my pumping efficiency.
    *If he fell asleep in the bouncer seat or swing, I would set up the pump within arms reach to comfort him or pop the pacificer in his mouth while still pumping.
    *I was anti-TV, but at 2 months, my son saw Backyardigans at my sisters house and absolutely loved it! This has been a life saver since he was happy watching while in a bouncer seat or swing.
    *A few times, tucking him beside me in a recliner/rocker worked so we could rock, sing, and pump all at once.
    *I did not purchase a "hands free" bra, but am able to hold both horns with one arm across my body so I still have a free hand. Gives you time to eat, read, or get online while still pumping.
    *It's a pain to have to stop pumping in the middle of a session, but BM is okay at room temp for sometime, so if you have to stop and then start back up 30 min later, that is okay.

Sorry so long....hope this helps!!

I just started making her open her mouth after I met with a LC. So that was a big step forward for us. I was super excited.

My husband has two kids and I take care, and they are a handful for me. I have such a hard time trying to get the time to pump. And being relaxed is hard too, with everyone calling on me for help or this or that. So upsetting at times.

How did you get the pump to let-down? I start on low to get the milk started so it will be less painful when I move it up to make the milk come out more. I did read to start high and then go low. Any advice on that?

I just started holding her in the arm chair and pumping. I only pump one breast at a time, which makes it easy for compression. I made myself a hands-free bra, but doesn't work too well for me.