Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of advice.

Unhappy In need of advice.

So I am so sick of pumping out my milk. I want my baby girl to be able to latch onto me.

Here is the problem, my nipples are flat and I can't get enough into her mouth to breastfeed. I had to give her a bottle when she was born so she would stop losing weight or she would have to stay in the hospital another night. Now she knows how easy it is to get her milk out of a bottle and cries when I put her to the breast. I have tried a nipple shield and took from that for a few days and then refused it everytime after. I started pumping out my milk so I wouldn't have to give her formula. I have been pumping for 3 weeks and I am tired of it.

I know there are women out there who have been able to breastfeed with flat nipples. Does anyone have any advice for me?
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: In need of advice.

First...

Have you spoken with a lactation consultant? Or contacted your local LLL? They may have valuable advice for you, especially if you could meet with them in person and have them get hands on.

I pumped for 14 months. I know that it is not fun, and I would venture to guess that every other mama who has had a relationship with a pump has wanted to quit or throw it against the wall. Several times. But you can do it. Keep offering the breast as much as you can. Try and relax into nursing. It takes time but it does get easier with each day.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

After I gave birth I tired to breastfeed and she wouldn't latch on and she cried. The nurse gave her a bath and I tired again, and still she couldn't latch on. Then the LC came in and tried helping and she told me to go to WIC and asked if I was apart of LLL. The LC tried a few times each day we were in the hospital to help breastfeed. One nurse told me to use a nipple shield. After I left the hospital on a Friday, I went to WIC and they couldn't take me until Monday. So when I went back, they gave me a pump, told me how to use it and sent me on my way. Last week I called the birth center at the hospital which I gave birth because I had fever. Someone agreed to help me breastfeed which didn't turn out well. She told me to go back to WIC and maybe someone could help me there. I did call the WIC office and they didn't help. All they told me is what I have been told by the LC and the nurses at the hospital.

So here I am now, wishing I didn't have to pump my milk. I want to feel close with my baby girl and not have to give her a bottle. I have given her the breast today and she sucks a few times and spits it out. I keep trying until she begins to cry and I am ready to do the same, so I give her my milk in her bottle.

I'm so sorry you're still having a tough time! Here's a link which may help: Help - My Baby Won't Nurse! Since it sounds like your baby may be getting hooked on the bottle, you might also want to check out this link: Alternative Feeding Methods
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! Your link has helped a lot. I have not tried any of the tips yet, but I think they have great advice on Kellymom. I called the WIC office back and they agreed to see me today! So I am hope they can help.

she is very young yet. You guys will find your grove.
    Do check out that 2nd link.

Some babies just take a while to learn and your doing the right things by pumping and not forcing the breast on the baby that can be stressfull on them.

this might help also

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

I have flat nipples but I think pumping has helped draw them out (sometimes they are, sometimes not now..it's confusing). Also, my LC advised rolling them between my fingers to get them to stand out more before attempting to latch. keep working at it! Pumping gets old fast but at least you know your baby is getting wonderful nutrition.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    she is very young yet. You guys will find your grove.
    Do check out that 2nd link.

Some babies just take a while to learn and your doing the right things by pumping and not forcing the breast on the baby that can be stressfull on them.

this might help also

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Thanks for the advice. It really opened my eyes to the things I need to improve on when I use a bottle. Kind of upsetting when I am doing things that won't help her to breastfeed, but we live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I have flat nipples but I think pumping has helped draw them out (sometimes they are, sometimes not now..it! Pumping gets old fast but at least you know your baby is getting wonderful nutrition.
    I do think pumping helps and it did work a little for me, but she is lazy now. I did try to roll my nipples, but it really didn't help much. Thank you.

At the WIC office, they helped me get closer to breastfeeding. I know how to hold the bottle in a way that the milk just won't flow to her mouth, she now has to move foward as if to a breast and she has to work on sucking the milk from the bottle. I guess I am okay with her only using the bottle, just my dream of breastfeeding has to change a little. But all around I know she is getting the best stuff in the world.

Yes, she is getting the best stuff in the world. I feel your pain as I am sitting here pumping away... I tried to have my daughter latch on but I have one flat and one inverted nipple. I had help in the hospital and I hired a private LC. We did our best but my daughter wanted nothing to do with a nipple shield. At three weeks of age, the LC and I decided to exclusively pump with hopes that she might come back to the breast after having pumping draw out my nipples. It was avery difficult time for me. And now I'm pumping for eleven months with a road of ups and downs--and I'm still going... If you decide to go this route, there are many things to consider so I hope you're getting support and encouragement. I'm now wondereing how to wean an exclusively pumping baby? Keep me posted on your road! Best of luck and wishes to you!