Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sitter keeps pushing cereal...

Default Sitter keeps pushing cereal...

My sitter keeps mentioning that I should start to think about cereal for my son. He is taking anywhere from 5-7 ounces in the two bottles she gives him during the day and I am pumping about that at work. She keeps mentioning that if he is taking between 30-32 ounces a day that he should get cereal? I have not heard about this nor can I find anything out there about giving cereal based on the amount of EBM a child is taking. We don't go for my son's 4 month appt until the end of next week and he will be almost 5 months at that time. Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't think I am going to start anything until I talk to the doctor but I did not want to start until around the 6th month.

Thanks for helping!!

Gene'

Default Re: Sitter keeps pushing cereal...

I believe your sitter's info is based on a formula-fed baby and it comes from the USDA.

The recommendation from the AAP is exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life. I'm unaware of any guidelines related to the amount of breastmilk a baby takes in during the day being an indicator that baby needs solid foods. Perhaps you could ask your sitter where she's getting her information from and take it from there?

Good luck!

You could also print her out the ACOPeds statement and show it to her? He is just fine on your bm. Good job pumping, that can not be easy?!?

It might be a good idea to try not to take an adversarial stance with the sitter (i.e., you're wrong, I'm right), since she is on your team taking care of your precious son. You could praise her about how knowledgeable she is about babies, and share some information with her about BREASTFED babies, since many babies she has encountered before may have been formula-fed.

It could also be a good thing that your sitter is making suggestions and cares about your baby's health, even though her suggestions are not appropriate for your baby. This opens the door to share with her how YOU envision starting solids, and why you feel this plan would be good for your baby.

You might also try to find out how things are going with taking care of your son; is there some reason that she feels cereal would be helpful right now that doesn't have to do solely with his health -- for example, does she think he would take longer naps? (not true, according to research.) Is she having a hard time meeting his needs? If so, you could brainstorm together ways that things might be easier for her while still meeting his needs.

If you don't want to get into that, though, you could just make a blanket statement that his pediatrician wants you to wait until 6 months, and then introduce veggies, or some such. She is your employee and you are the mother, after all. Good luck!

THank you all so much! I think that I am going to just let her know that I am going to the doctor next week and we will see what he says. He is getting over a cold so that could explain why he is eating more due to the fact that he is feeling better. I just hope that my supply will stay up to meet his ever growing needs! I am lucky that she cares enough about him to make suggestions. I just don't think she has had a BF baby in a long time.

Thank you again for your help!

Gene'

A cold is definitely a reason for a baby to nurse more frequently, as is teething.

Using the old 'my pediatrician recommended exclusive bf for at least 6 months' usually works for most people. If you have allergies in your family history, then this would be a great 'excuse' to use as well.

Depending on the pediatrician, they may say the same thing as your sitter Many, but not all, pediatricians will lump the breastfed babies and formula fed babies in the same category despite the AAP's guidelines to the contrary. There is a difference between the two feeding methods and what is normal. Our first pediatrician was a 4-monther when it came to starting solids. Gather all the information you can and then make the decision that fits your family best, even if that decision is not what others recommend.

Here are some good links for solids:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/index.html (non-LLL, but very reliable source of info...scroll down to the 'Vitamins and Starting Solids' section)
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids