Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I start feeding solids daily?

Question Should I start feeding solids daily?

My DD is almost 7 months. I've fed her solids 4 times now since she turned 6 mos. The first time on 1/27/2006 was mashed bananas. She seemed to love it. She ate quite a bit and didn't spit any of it out or up. But, she slept through the night, which was odd for me since she usually nurses 2 times a night. I woke up with very full breasts after missing one feeding and picked up DD to feed her. I called my LLL leader and explained the situation and she said DD was not ready for solids and to take her sleeping through the night as a "red flag". She was concerned for me that I would develop masitis in skipping the 2 feedings. So, we stopped giving her solids. We tried again on 2/11/2006 while we were eating out. I gave her a couple of tiny pieces of wheat bread. She liked it and was fine. She didn't sleep through the night or have any other odd reactions. Then I tried the mashed bananas again on 2/20/2006 and she only ate a tiny bit and then turned her head away. I attempted to give her some more on 2/23/2006, but she again wasn't really interested. She loves to take sips of water from our cup.
    She can sit up by herself for a minute or two. She looks at us intently while we eat, grabs at a lot of things especially if she's sitting on our lap when we're eating. She does not have any teeth. I read some of the other posts here that say teeth are not a sign. I found that confusing since my LLL leader said to wait till she got her first tooth to start solids along with being able to sit up without support, the pincer grasp is established.
    I'm excited to feed her other foods but I'm unsure if she is ready or not. She is EBF whenever she wants to eat, usually every 2-3 hours to every 4 hours at night.
    I do not want to substitute my milk for solids. I just want to do whats best for her. We haven't missed our window of opportunity, have we?

Amy
    Wife to Doug, Mother to Laura Grace (8/3/2005)

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Should I start feeding solids daily?

When to start feeding solids seems like one of those things that varies a lot from child to child and family to family. My doctor said to wait until 6 mo. if possible, but said many of his mothers started at 4 mo! I've read in a couple of places the way to know when is the right time is if the baby seems interested in food, when they seem hungry or fussy after they have nursed, or when you give them food if they can handle it without spitting it right back out. I started giving my son cereal at 5 mo. He just seemed like he really wanted to eat (staring at us while we ate... following every bite we took from the plate to our mouths... it looked exciting to him!) He has continued to breast feed and have solid foods now for 2 mo. Now he is 7 mo. and eating 3 meals a day of breast milk and solid food. It hasn't been smooth sailing the whole way, as he is currently going through a nursing strike, but for the most part it seems to have worked well for him. He really enjoys his meals. I know another baby who is 9 mo. old and taking just milk and no solids, so I think you have to do what you feel comfortable doing- good luck!

You def have not missed your window. My baby is 9 months and just really got interested in foods in the past weeks. Many babies have lived just on breast milk for the first year and have been just fine. I would just offer dear child something when ever you think about it, like when you all are having your dinner. One day he will just eat, you will find your rhythm as time goes on. Best of luck !

>>she said DD was not ready for solids and to take her sleeping through the night as a "red flag".

Why is sleeping through the night a "red flag" and why would it mean DD is not ready to start solids?

>> She was concerned for me that I would develop masitis in skipping the 2 feedings.

Do you mean engorgement? I thought mastitis was caused by infection or allergy, and have not seen it related to missed feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth

>> She was concerned for me that I would develop masitis in skipping the 2 feedings.

Do you mean engorgement? I thought mastitis was caused by infection or allergy, and have not seen it related to missed feedings.
    If the engorgement leads to unrecognized blocked ducts then it could very easily turn in to mastitis... perhaps this is what the leader meant.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi Ladies!

Just to clarify, according to the LLLI Breastfeeding Answer Book,

"Mastitis is a general term used to refer to any inflammation of the breast. It is not always possible to determine if themother'sbrest inflammation is due to an infection of a plugged duct...The term mastitis covers both possibilities."

HTH!