Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cow's milk after ONE instead of formula?

Default Cow's milk after ONE instead of formula?

L has been receiving formula supplements since I returned to work when she was four months old. She gets one to two formula bottles depending on how much I pump the day before.

What I'm wondering is, can I start having MIL give her cow's milk instead of formula? I HATE that she even has to have formula, and I have never been able to get enough from the pump, despite being on domperidone.

She still nurses or has a bottle (while I'm at work) every two hours.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Default Re: Cow's milk after ONE instead of formula?

Formula is better than cow's milk IMO. Are you still going to be nursing 3 good nursings a day? If so, you really don't need anything extra as far as calcium goes. I would rather do 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/2 formula and 1/2 rice milk or something.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

Not sure if it is still out there, but when DD2 turned 1 we put her on a special toddler formula
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Most formulas are majorly processed cow's milk with added vitamins and minerals that are hard for the body to absorb, along with extremley cheap oils. I would go to goats, cows, or another mammals milk if you are having a hard time getting fat and protein in her diet. Otherwise she doesn't need milk at all as long she is eating those two things somewhere else. Cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese are also good sources of dairy.

The beauty of nursing past one is that a lot of the nutritional pressure is lifted if you have a fairly good eater. As a PP said 3+ nursing sessions a day should meet her requirements nutritionally without any other supplements to drink.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

At one, we went from EBF to adding cows milk. There is a lot of great stuff in cows milk (along with most are fortified with vitamin D) and I felt that it was the better choice than to go to formula at that age.

http://www.parenting.com/article/Bab...ilk-for-Babies

The key is to read up and do what you feel is best for you and your LO.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yep, we used cows milk too, just introduced it slowly and continued nursing a few times a day. I started by mixing it in his rice cereal.

My LO just turned one last week. I have not introduced cow's milk yet as we all drink 1% around here. I did get her a small carton of organic brand whole milk, but we went on vacation and I wasn't able to give her any. Any ways, I just have some concerns when it comes to cow's milk. All the bad things you hear about it. I magine the organic cures all the added hormones and stuff. She is still nursing 3 to 4 times a day, but I've always been afraid that she doesn't get much nutrients from me since my eating habits aren't great. I don't do fast food, but I don't eat many veggies and fruit. I do give her these things and I am ecstatic that she likes everything I've given her! The girl eats whatever you put on her plate! Any ways, what about almond milk? Do other types of milk offer the same nutrients? My MIL says that cow's milk is the best for them. Also, I was considering an organic toddler formula that is sold at whole foods--I forget the name. Will this also offer cheap oils and hard to absorb vitamins and minerals?

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bam007 View Post
    Do other types of milk offer the same nutrients? My MIL says that cow's milk is the best for them.
    You may want to read the Dr. Sears article I posted earlier in this thread.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and