Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times a day should my 3 month old eat?

Default How many times a day should my 3 month old eat?

My 3 month old has recently started eating only 6 times a day. Is this enough? His weight gain seems good and he is happy. He was 13 lbs 4 oz last week. He has 3-4 poops a day (yesterday only 2 which was unusual).

This was what his schedule was like yesterday:
    Wake up and eat at 8:45
    Take nap in car seat and stroller while Mommy runs errands (if we don't go out he sleeps in his bouncy seat for half an hour falling asleep 1.5 hours after he wakes up)
    Eat again at 11:45.
    Takes nap from 1:35 - 4.
    Eats at 4.
    Eats at 6.
    Eats at 8.
    Eats at 9:45.
    Put him to bed at 10:30.

Do I need to squeeze an extra feeding in there? He's never had a bottle so I have no idea how much milk he is getting. He's not complaining so I'm assuming enough. Also, I don't wake him up. He wakes up on his own. He's like his Dad...waking him up make him cranky!

Debbie

Default Re: How many times a day should my 3 month old eat?

How many pee diapers does he have a day?

Honestly, it sounds great to me! And he sounds like a sleeping champ. Good for you
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

According to the AAP policy statement on breastfeeding and the use of human milk, "After breastfeeding is well established, the frequency of feeding may decline to approximately 8 times per 24 hours, but the infant may increase the frequency again with growth spurts or when an increase in milk volume is desired." So if you follow that recommendation, 6 feedings/day isn't quite enough. But then you need to consider that every mom and every baby is different, and that the above recommendation probably doesn't embrace the full spectrum of variation in feeding patterns- there are babies who will need to feed 12 or more times per day in order to do well, and babies who will need only 6 feedings per day. Ultimately, I think that you should look at your baby before deciding if the recommendation is right for you. If your baby isn't doing well (not growing, not meeting milestones, unhappy), then you may want to offer the breast more frequently. If he is doing well (growing, meeting milestones, happy), then you should continue to follow his lead. But even if he's doing perfectly, don't be afraid to offer to nurse a couple extra times per day- it can't hurt and may help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't count the wet diapers anymore but I know he has a lot. The diapers get very heavy sometimes if I don't change him right away.

Since he seems happy with 6 feedings, I'll try not to worry. I may try and hold off the afternoon nap until he gets his third feeding in. One thing I've noticed since he's dropped the 7th feeeding most days is that the feedings last longer. The first day he started taking a real afternoon nap, he ate for 45 minutes!

My LO, who is the same age, has a similar routine. She is down to 6 or 7 nursings/day and is doing just fine (happy, gaining, milestones). Because she is down to this many nursings, I do try and squeeze in an extra one here or there to make sure she is getting enough, but if she isn't interested, she definitely lets me know!! So long as your babe is doing well and diapers are good, then I wouldn't worry. It is normal for the number of poops to decrease in BF babies as they get a bit older, too, so 2 x day is totally normal. We are down to 1 x day or every other day now, but still lots of wets.

Good luck and happy holidays!

my little man is on the same feeding times i think your good :-)
    Daddy and Mommy are highschool sweethearts!
    08.10.03<3

Young Mommy of 2!
    Cassidy Ann
    32w 4.9lbs 18in
    NICU for 1 and 1/2 months

Damien Joseph
    38w 7.1lbs 19in
    Came home in 2 days!
    and LOVING IT!

Yep we're on the same thing about 6-7 feedings per day and tons of wets. My guy only poops every 2-3 days but they are massive, watch out!

Good to hear. He seems very happy so I'm not going to change anything. And I'm definitely not waking him up at night...haha...I love that he's sleeping through the night now.

Yes the diapers are very very messy when he only poops twice a day. Luckily I got the stains out of his Christmas pjs, but he had to wear different ones to open his presents.