Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Well, just plain ol' how do I start?

Default Well, just plain ol' how do I start?

DS is going to be 6 months in January, and I want to start him on solids. He's my wonderful big boy...born at 9.6 and as of last week...18.9 pounds!

Needless to say, kid has quite an appetite! I know I don't have to start solids. But I want to, I think it will be fun! He is SO interested in food. Whenever he sees us eat he just stares and tries to grab some for himself. I give him a tablespoon of rice cereal once in a while, he gets more of it down his shirt and all over the place then in his tummy but he LOVES to try. He gets impatient between bites and opens his mouth when he sees the spoon coming. Anyway, so I guess I just wanna know how it goes. I read that avocado or sweet potato are the best foods to start with. Should I just go buy a sweet potato then? And bake/mash it up? Or do I get it in baby food? Same question with the avocado minus the baking part. And when he eats a solid..is that considered a meal? Or should I always top him off with BM? He is my first and I have no idea what I'm doing if you can't tell.

My plan is to breastfeed for a year (if it's longer then it's longer...that's just kind of the plan so far)...so I want to start introducing solids at 6 months and slowly decrease breast feedings so maybe when he is about 10-11 months it will just be morning and night time that I do the breast feedings.

Any advice! Thank you!
    Married to the love of my life of 10 years, and mommy of two amazing boys who completely have my heart.

Default Re: Well, just plain ol' how do I start?

At this age, always feed breastmilk first, solids second. You can offer breast again after eating if you'd like, I know I do as my little one doesn't usually take much water.

If you are doing purees, I don't know that you'd need to offer a sippy cup of water (but you can). I am doing self fed solids only, and we always give her a sippy cup. She knows how to use it now and what is in it if she wants a drink.

There is more than one way to start, I would recommend reading this section of the forum, and then doing a wide search on the internet. You will find people doing purees, store bought purees, mashes, or jumping right to "baby led solids". A lot of people seem to do a hybrid depending on their circumstance. There really isn't a right way, as long as breastmilk remains the primary calorie source for a while yet.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Well, just plain ol' how do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    At this age, always feed breastmilk first, solids second. You can offer breast again after eating if you'd like, I know I do as my little one doesn't usually take much water.

I made my own purees or just mashed things up for my DD. Sweet potato, avocado and bananas are good to start with. With sweet potato, I cooked it, mashed it and let it cool before offering it. At first, I would mix breastmilk in with the food too.

As the PP said, there are lots of different options for solids. You just have to find what works best for you.

You should wait about 4-7 days after offering a new food before the next one, to check for any allergies/intolerances.

Good luck!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut