Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what have you tried?

Default what have you tried?

We just had my LO 6 month check up and her PED recommended introducing solids now she's showing all the signs (reaching for food, opening closing her mouth, sitting on her own) so we've decided to do BLS. Her PED also said she isn't a science experiment and just feed her whatever we eat & if we see a reaction then work backwards (I write everything she eats down in a journal, that way if we see a rxn i can figure it put easier). We're also supposed to stay away from honey and milk till at least a year if not longer.
    I was gonna buy a couple jars of baby food for just in case, but after i read the labels of different brands I wasn't happy with the amount of sodium and sugar in the little jars of food. So we bought a handy portable food puree thingy and are freezing (ice cube trays) our own fruits/veggies.

My question is what have you tried? and at what age?

How do i puree/cook meats effectively for her?

does it matter when i introduce yogurt, shreded cheese?

what signs am i looking for with her when she can switch to finger food?

when should I introduce a cup? she's BF and i don't get very much when i pump anymore so what i do get i try freeze so i can have a date night with my SO once in a while.

Also she seems to hate all the foods we've let her have... she just smears em around gets a bit in her mouth, makes a face then won't try it again... but she's still super interested in what's on my plate and will try and grab at it.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: what have you tried?

if you're going to do BLS, you don't need to puree anything BLS is essentially the baby deciding what and how much to eat, and feeding him/herself. Here's a great link that explains the do's and don'ts of BLS Baby Led Solids

We started with banana's, then avocado, and then baked sweet potato. The avocado and sweet potato are GREAT first foods.

You can introduce a cup with some breastmilk right now. You could also use water. We offered the sippy cup with each meal, however it took a while for him to figure it out. So he didn't actually drink much until 7/8 months.

I wouldn't worry about her actually eating much food. With BLS the goal is for the child to self regulate, and for you to trust that when she is ready to eat, she will, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thats a great site thanks!... we've given her advocado and sweet potato... lol she still isn't digging it but i'll keep trying, she'll figure it out eventually!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!

We are a little over seven months, and after I read the "Baby Led Weaning" book by Rapley I felt more comfortable with the BLS concept, and just started offering her some of whatever we were having for dinner. I have some good baby friendly foods handy in case dad and I are being lazy and having junk (like fast food hamburgers - holiday season, no time to cook, etc).. From our food she's had steamed broccoli, meatballs (those went over great! just don't add salt, but you can add other spices), steamed turnips, baked sweet potatoes, pork, noodles, almond butter (unsalted, on an unsalted rice cake), hummus, bread (not too much, salt content), pizza, chinese food (no msg), eggs, gosh the list goes on and on. I keep raw veggies on hand that she can gnaw and offer those and some sliced fruits on the side, like bell peppers (the colored are best), and raw yellow squash.she's even had raw onion and loved it.

The ground beef is the easiest meat to offer for us, but we've given her chicken and pork, she just sucks the juices out of it (still gets a lot of good stuff)... Sometimes she gets some down, sometimes not. The first thing she truly consumed with gusto was part of my veggie omelet, she loved it.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Expect lots of scrunched-up faces and not much actual swallowing for a few months. But don't be discouraged by the faces. My DD did this a lot in the beginning but she'd still be grabbing more things and putting them in her mouth all the while.

I actually liked giving her pureed single-ingredient foods so I could identify what it was she liked and didn't like (and so I could know she wasn't allergic). So I knew that bananas and rice cereal were constipating her horribly. And I knew that she loved butternut squash but hated nutmeg, and it wasn't the cinnamon but rather the nutmeg because she likes cinnamon in peaches, apples, pears, and sweet potatoes. Aside from those she LOVES avocado (with garlic powder, even--you might try that and you might try it on a cheese cracker), loves Kashi TLC cheese crackers, whole-grain cheerios, carrots especially mixed with peas. When we had stew I put that in the food processor a little and she loved it, including the meat which was cooked to very tender. She's VERY small (just fell off the weight curve at just shy of 13 lbs at 7 months) so we're trying to increase her calories, so we jumped the gun a bit on dairy--she's started on Stonyfield Farms Yo-Baby and absolutely loves it. When I have the spoon back in the container I look at her and she's opening her mouth at me like, "I'm ready, where are you?!" We've added butter to her sweet potatoes and she's okay with that. She also likes to munch on string cheese but it doesn't dissolve like other things and she only has two lower teeth so not much happens to it--same as avocado chunks or potato chunks, it stays in her mouth a while before she figures out what to do with it. Anyway that's been our experience--good luck and have fun!
    Oh yeah, we started her on the Playtex cup with handles on both sides just after four months, but we had to offer it to her a whole lot before she figured it out, and she's just gotten good with it in the past three weeks (she's 7.5 months now).
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

I'm waiting for that book at the library! and thanks for the advice i was starting to feel overwhelmed with this whole transitioning to solids thing