Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean to be "going strong" with nursing at age one?

Question What does it mean to be "going strong" with nursing at age one?

My DD will be one in a few weeks (to my amazement!) and her nursing patterns have seemed to change in recent weeks. While I seem to still expect her to want to nurse every 2.5 hours during the day (as she has since she was an infant), she's way more comfortable going 3-4 hours. Meanwhile, she's expressing WAY more interest in solids and feeding herself anything she can get her hands on!

Is it normal at this point to only nurse 5 times in a 24-hour period? I SO want to keep nursing well past a year, and am worried that DD is losing interest. On the other hand, I want to listen to and trust her instincts.

I notice that a lot of moms talk about how they're still going strong at age one (and beyond!), but I'm curious about what that actually means in terms of how often your LOs are nursing and for how long. Are DD and I still "going strong"?

THANK YOU wonderful LLL moms! This is my first-ever post, but I've been an avid reader of the forums for almost a year now!

Default Re: What does it mean to be "going strong" with nursing at age one?

I think it's totally normal to go 3-4 hours between nursing sessions at your lo's age. That's "going strong" to me!

My son is 11mo and nurses every 3-4 hours. For me, I have to adjust to when he changes how he's nursing. Same with my daughter. It's like I got so into expecting her or him to want to nurse as often as they were for a while, that when they spaced it out a bit, my clock had to reset.

I still nurse my son before feeding him solids (within a half hour or so) and then let him eat whatever. I was feeling like he was eating a ton of solids, but then he slowed down a bit.

Sounds to me like you're doing great mama!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

you are still going strong.

and congratulations on making it to the 1 year mark.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

You are definetly still going strong.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

So very, very true.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks for all of your reassurance! I feel so relieved!

with everyone else.

When she's with me, I try to offer to nurse Lilah about every 2 hours or so, because that's what I'm used to... sometimes she will nurse, other times she won't. I think she's going about every 3 to 4 hours during the day.

But... at night, she's an every 45-90minute to every 3 hour kind of girl. So I think we still nurse about 8 times in a 24 hour day, it's just that sometimes she's comfort nursing.

She took to solids in a BIG way a few weeks ago. It really forces us to reset how we think, doesn't it?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

She took to solids in a BIG way a few weeks ago. It really forces us to reset how we think, doesn't it?
    Absolutely! It's definitely bittersweet. I feel proud of how she's developing and the role that I've had in that. But, even more so, I feel sad about the fact that I'm not needed as much. I suppose this feeling will continue in many variations throughout her life!

That still sounds strong to me. With toddlerhood, DD's nursing patterns will decrease and then increase (usually around teething or developmental milestone), then decrease, increase again, you get the picture. Just because your LO is nursing less now doesn't mean she will soon wean. After her first year, my daughter had some periods when she would nurse once or twice daily and I thought surely we were weaning but then she'd start up with nearly constant all day nursing (much of it comfort nursing). She is 2 years old and still loves BF'ing. We probably nurse on average 3-4 times daily but some days more & some days less. I still consider us going strong with nursing
    Last edited by @llli*clb.1812; December 24th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

that sounds normal to me. I work during the day, so my LO (who is 13 months) takes 2 bottles during the day, and then nurses about 3 times when I get home and 2-3 times overnight.

It was very different with my DS1- until he was about 30 months he nursed about every hour...he was a milk monger! I had to leave about 5 six-ounce bottles when I went to work and he would nurse like crazy at night!

If you want to encourage more nursing, you can offer more often, sit in your nursing spot, limit other distractions, and offer the breast before any solid feedings.

So you co-sleep, or does your baby nurse at night? Because this is probably the feeding that will go on the longest.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08