Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do i get my LO to eat off of dishes without throwing them?

Default how do i get my LO to eat off of dishes without throwing them?

DS is starting a new daycare after the holidays. His old daycare didn't expect him to eat off of a plate at his age (he'll be 13 months when he starts the new place), so we didn't. His old daycare also refused to work on BLS with me, so we never did that either.

Anyway, the new daycare expects children his age to eat finger foods off of a plate. I've tried plates and it seems to me that he will starve before he will take more than a few bites of something before deciding the plate is more fun.

Any suggestions? He's a smart child, I just don't know how to communicate to him that the plate is not a toy. Usually when things are not toys, we just keep them away from him. We're trying to work on basic discipline, but he's only 12 months old, so he doesn't follow directions very well yet.

I tried holding the plate for him and he screams and pulls at it. I've been taking the plate away when he does that, but then he just doesn't eat. It doesn't seem to matter how hungry he is, he just wants to explore the plate. And then he just drinks more milk to make up for what he didn't eat. I don't want him to go hungry and anyway, I'm not sure that would communicate to him that he shouldn't mess with the plate.
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

Default Re: how do i get my LO to eat off of dishes without throwing them?

I would just tell the daycare he isn't used to eating on a plate
    and see what they do.
    One day of having little to eat will not hurt.
    And maybe watching the other kids will help

Default Re: how do i get my LO to eat off of dishes without throwing them?

I used to babysit a LO who would like to use her plates as a frisbee. Her mom found some dishes with suction cups on the bottom. They stuck to the tray or table pretty darn good and her LO couldn't get them off! I'm sure it's just a phase, kids like to test boundaries and try out their new skills.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie