Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Glad we're "still" nursing!

Default Glad we're "still" nursing!

My DS is 14 months old and we are currently in the process of travelling from the U.S. to Kenya to visit family. We were supposed to get there Sunday, but weather conditions in Europe delayed everything and have turned what should have been a 24 hour journey in to a 4+ day saga. Anyway, this "adventure" has really made me appreciate that my DS "still" nurses. At one point we were stuck in the plane on the runway for 5 hours after a 10 hour flight. There was another mother on the flight with 11 month old twins she was worried that she would have to start them on cows milk right away because they were about to run out of formula. Even though we were running low on snacks, my DS was able to nurse as much as he wanted. Nursing has also been helpful in dealing with the time changes and exhaustion from traveling. Nothing calms down a cranky, overtired toddler faster than some milk from mommy

Default Re: Glad we're "still" nursing!

Good for you Mama!

It really is so convenient. I wish everyone realized it and we had higher sustained/extended BF rates.

I hope you make it safe and sound!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Your post reminded me of a Swahili saying my Dad picked up when he lived in Kenya: "Haraka haraka, hi-ena baraka." He said it means "Hurry hurry brings no blessings." I can't imagine a better saying to apply to nursing/weaning!

Enjoy your trip! I'm sorry you had such a rough time getting where you were going!

(Oh, apologies for the egregious spelling on the Swahili!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's "haraka haraka haina baraka" so you were pretty close And I agree that it applies very well for nursing/weaning.

QUOTE=@llli*mommal;843813]Your post reminded me of a Swahili saying my Dad picked up when he lived in Kenya: "Haraka haraka, hi-ena baraka." He said it means "Hurry hurry brings no blessings." I can't imagine a better saying to apply to nursing/weaning!

Enjoy your trip! I'm sorry you had such a rough time getting where you were going!

(Oh, apologies for the egregious spelling on the Swahili!)[/QUOTE]