Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

Default How much is too much?

DD3 absolutely LOVES solids! Especially those that she can feed herself. Thing is, she really likes wheat bread and pastas. Is there a certain "limit" of carbs that she should be having in a day? I figured out today that I could give her the bread dipped in pureed veggies and make it so that she could feed herself that way...but, I probably shouldn't do that very often, right?
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: How much is too much?

I guess it depends on how much food she usually eats in a day and how often you are breastfeeding and what not. But aside from that, grains should definitely be limited! Read any nutrition book and it will tell you to stay away from too much carbs. I looooooove grain products, and could eat them all day but I don't because I know that wheat is very addicting. Also, any grain or legume that hasn't been properly soaked or sprouted has phytic acid which binds to the minerals, so it ends up coming out the other end. So anyone that is eating mostly grains and legumes would have to be cautious about where their essential minerals are coming from.

Glad to hear she has taken to solids so well! My one month older boy not so much! He does like anything with wheat flour though, so I'm trying to offer other things as well.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

She does like the solids! In fact, I was just about to start a new thread looking for suggestions on other food because she has officially decided that she hates baby food purees. I don't even think I could fed her the "stage 3" foods because as soon as she sees that spoon coming she closes her mouth! But, put something on the tray and she is happy as can be!
    Last night, I decided to give her what we were eating...we made oven fried chicken, corn and mashed potatoes. Of course, I pulled the chicken off the bone and made little pieces, gave her the corn kernels and she went to town! Then, as long as I was giving her the mashed potatoes off my plate on my fork, she ate it!
    She doesn't even have teeth yet!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

If she has taken that well to table food, I would just keep giving her whatever you are eating. I do this as well with my LO because he has never liked purees. Basically I've learned that anything is okay to give to them even if they don't have teeth, of course anything that can't be dissolved or mushed in the mouth won't go well, but most foods we eat are pretty soft. Sweet potato fries are yummy! Awesome as a finger food. Just don't get the ones pre-made as they are covered in vegetable oil (worst kind of fat possible for the body).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    DD3 absolutely LOVES solids! Especially those that she can feed herself. Thing is, she really likes wheat bread and pastas. Is there a certain "limit" of carbs that she should be having in a day? I figured out today that I could give her the bread dipped in pureed veggies and make it so that she could feed herself that way...but, I probably shouldn't do that very often, right?
    The carbs are fine, from what I understand they are necessary to metabolize the other things (fats and proteins). You need to watch the sodium content in the bread, and do not feed her the higher fiber kinds or give less of them because they will reduce her absorbtion of the rest of what she eats with it. Little ones need I think 1 g of salt a day, no more - you can balance it on a weekly basis instead of daily (if I am understanding correctly) by feeding lower sodium content foods if you have a high salt day. Too much salt will hurt their kidneys. You can get lower sodium breads. I've been using my regular bread and giving her low sodium rice cakes with unsalted spreads part of the time to fulfill my daughters desire to chew and gnaw bready type things. So far, bread seems to be our favorite as well.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post
    If she has taken that well to table food, I would just keep giving her whatever you are eating. I do this as well with my LO because he has never liked purees. Basically I've learned that anything is okay to give to them even if they don't have teeth, of course anything that can't be dissolved or mushed in the mouth won't go well, but most foods we eat are pretty soft. Sweet potato fries are yummy! Awesome as a finger food. Just don't get the ones pre-made as they are covered in vegetable oil (worst kind of fat possible for the body).
    This isn't really true. They can actually MASH food with their gums. And the research behind BLS shows that baby has all the natural defenses they need to deal with food they aren't ready to ingest. They will push it back out with their tongue or gag or puke it up if they aren't ready for it or bite off more than they can chew.
    DJ FAVORITE thing to eat and my favorite food to give him between 8 and 9 months was apple wedges. They kept him busy forever, and they were easy and there was no mess. I never boiled or peeled at all. He knawed on the hard with no problem. Same thing for celery and cucumber spears and sugar snap peas. It's true that much of we eat IS soft because it's cooked. But you are all about raw right? I encourage you to proceed without fear around feeding raw foods even if they are harder than what you think your child can process. And if you haven't already look into the research in regards to BLS.

Way too lazy for formula

yea, I was basically saying that it does take some skill to mash up something hard, as my LO is 11 mo and still hasn't gotten that skill down yet. He usually will let whatever is in his mouth get mushy without grinding it up. I have been so very patient with him about this as I always wanted to go the BLS way, and since he didn't like the purees I had to give him whatever I ate from beginning. I am all about raw, but I think I've taken a different approach to nutrition than being a raw foodist because I don't want to be so strict, and because some foods just need to be cooked at least a little to be more edible. And also, I've been getting along a whole lot better with people since I decided not to be so strict. I will keep trying those foods though, as I really want him to like things more unadulterated.

I will stand by my view on nutrition in that too much refined grains in the diet is bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    Little ones need I think 1 g of salt a day, no more - you can balance it on a weekly basis instead of daily (if I am understanding correctly)
    Stupid question but, I don't feel like looking it up...1 g is 1000mg? Is that right? I can't remember and everything I feed her is in mg! Darn US measurement system!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    Stupid question but, I don't feel like looking it up...1 g is 1000mg? Is that right? I can't remember and everything I feed her is in mg! Darn US measurement system!
    Yes, but it's anything but U.S. measurement system! Ours would be in oz and lbs and teaspoons and cups.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Yes, but it's anything but U.S. measurement system! Ours would be in oz and lbs and teaspoons and cups.
    That's actually what I meant...if we used the same system as most everyone else, I would've known the answer...no biggee, just expressing my frustration!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz