Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: yummy foods that are not constipating!

Default yummy foods that are not constipating!

Hello,

My dd likes solids much of the time, but has problems with constipation. She likes avocado and I don't think that plugs her up and pears, but otherwise, she got a diaper rash from I think applesauce (I read too much fruit can cause it) In any case, does not like applesauce and peaches aren't a big hit either. Banana she loves but constipating, oatmeal cereal same thing. Squash and sweet potato have been fine but I also want to add a little variety to her diet. I am buying more pears this wkend but just wondering what good foods you all feed your babies that don't plug them up. She gets so upset and grunts, face turns bright red and I feel so badly for her. She is 6 mos old.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: yummy foods that are not constipating!

Thank you for the link! I've given her some more peaches and added prunes to our shopping list.

my dd cann't have more then 1/2 a Banana in a day or she has trouble pooping for sure.

At your dd's age you can always cut out all solids and then wait a few days to introduce foods back in slowly. Watch close what bothers her.

It might be an issue with amounts of solids compared with how much bm she's getting.

Babies at 6 months typically are just trying foods, maybe once a day a few times a week. Their systems aren't quite ready for more than that, and constipation may be a sign saying, "Back off a bit!"

Another thing to remember is if you decide to not give solids one day, baby surely won't go hungry. She probably will want to nurse more, which is a good thing.

Another great link about taking it easy with solids:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html

Nessa tried swiss chard for the first time yesterday, and she LOVED it. And it seemed to sort of clean her system out, so there you go!
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

My baby also loves swiss chard and other greens. (Even seaweed.) Oddly, she didn't used to like fruit much, but is slowly acquiring a taste for it. I got a little food mill to grind up some of whatever fresh food the grownups are eating.

Well, I think it was the oatmeal cereal. She's doing fine now on squash, avocado, pears and peaches.