Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to supplement or not?

Default to supplement or not?

I'm very distraught and sad. My girl, who will be 11 months old in 10 days is on a nursing strike. I pump 4 times a day but only get about 8 total ounces. While I'm weathering the storm and waiting for her to come back to the breast, should I supplement with formula or something? We do pretty much BLS and she looooooves to eat. She has significantly increased her intake of solids. I just feel bad that I can't give her twice that amount of milk for. And I'm just sad that she bites or blows raspberries instead of latching on and nursing.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Many thanks,
    Theresa
    Theresa

Default Re: to supplement or not?

So if a nearly 11 month old is not nursing and so only gets 4-8 oz. a day, is that okay?
    Theresa

I suppose that technically the answer would be no, since BM or formula is supposed to comprise the majority of their nutrition until around the age of 1.

s to you mama. Nursing strikes are tough. Will she nurse at night? Do you co-sleep?

Dr. Newman is a bit of a contrarian in that he suggests rounding out the diet withhigh calorie solids. There is more info on that on his site.

I think it's a judgement call Mama. If she's eating lots of high calorie high fat solids and getting some BM, then you may be okay. Will she tolerate cow's milk? That may help you in the interim. I'm sorry that I'm not able to be of more help.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I would not start formula at that age personally. I would continue to offer the breast and make sure she's getting plenty of solids. Keep pumping to keep your supply up. Try offering the breast when she is sleepy. Or try taking a warm bath together and offer during the bath. That always got my babies interested.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Will she eat while sleeping? Or almost sleeping?

Way too lazy for formula

I tried it at nap time yesterday and she woke fully and sat up on her knees screaming and crying when I ooched in to get my breast close to her. She's okay with my shirt up or off and will kiss, giggle, cuddle but as soon as I technically offer, she bites, shakes her head no and then, as if I didn't understand the first two ways of saying "no," she makes the sign for "all done" with her free hand. If I can suspend my sadness, her desire to communicate is endearing.

I've been getting into the bath with her every night for a week. She's happy to have me to play with her, but it hasn't re-kindled her interest in breastfeeding.

From the very beginning, she nursed at longer intervals so moving her to her room wasn't a big deal for either of us, about 5 months ago. I remember when DS was this age, he would start out in his room and I would go in before I went to bed and nurse him before he would wake up. I'm nervous that I'm going to get bit and that she'll wake up, but I'll try it with her to see if this works.

Thanks mamas.
    Theresa

I feel for you Mama! Although I'm in the opposite boat as you, I can still empathize. I would be really upset if my LO suddenly wanted to eat solids and did not want to breastfeed, I would not know what to do! He has never had a bottle or taken BM out of a cup and is barely eating solids, but I know I'm providing everything he needs so I don't push it on him.
    I am wondering how it happened?
    Is a tooth bothering her?

I really hope she comes back to wanting to breastfeed! There are links to nursing strikes on this website: Kellymom
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Try this to increase your output when you pump:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Thank you for the website! I've never tried this before but have problems with decreasing milk supply when I work & pump also!
    Married to my best friend mommy to my first sweet girl (6/10/09)
    most of the time, a few days a week

I would not offer formula if she is eating high quality natural foods for her solid foods. Why offer a highly processed food (formula) if you don't have too?

The biting makes me wonder if she is teething and having a tough time with whatever tooth is trying to come in.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.