Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk pumped while I was sick looks different...normal

Default Milk pumped while I was sick looks different...normal

So the long story short: I came down with a 48 hour stomach bug where I was nauseated, vomiting, and had a fever. Needless to say, I didn't eat much during that time (but I did force fluids). Anyhow, I quarantined myself from DD, and my lovely husband took on baby duty. I pumped every 3 hours to keep up my supply, (hubby used freezer stash...thank god for that!) but the milk looks very watery and not a lot of fat to it. Is this a result of me not having many calories while pumping? I am assuming as much, but I am wondering if I should pitch it because maybe it doesn't have the nutritional value that it needs???

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Milk pumped while I was sick looks different...normal

I wouldn't pitch the milk. Just because it's not as creamy as usual doesn't mean it's lacking in nutritional value.

My guess is that the reason your milk looks "skim" is that a) you pumped somewhat less frequently than your baby would naturally nurse (allowing for a larger component of watery foremilk), or b) because you were sick your milk didn't let down quite as thoroughly (leaving the hundmilk behind), or that c) because you were sick you didn't pump quite as long as usual (and therefore didn't get as much creamy hindmilk).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"