Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No sleep...Need your help!

Question No sleep...Need your help!

Hello

This question is regarding my 7th month old baby who has been getting up a lot of times at night (5 or 6 times).

My baby is on the 7th month now and she has been exclusively breastfed. She used to sleep through the night at 2nd and 3rd month. In the 4th month, she used to wake up once at night. On the 5th month, she started getting up twice. In the 6 th month, she started getting up more than twice. For the past few days, she has been getting up like 4 to 5 times at night. So we started giving her rice cereal once everyday. (Just one table spoon of cereal mixed in 1 oz of breast milk)

Just to get you an understanding on her milk intake, below is how her normal day schedule look like:-

BF around 8:30 am and go to work (sometimes she feed well and sometimes not)
    Between 8:30 am – 12:30 pm – get 2 to 3 oz of EBM
    BF around 12:30 and go back to work again
    Between 12:30 – 5:30 – usually get 4 to 5 oz of EBM
    Come back from work at 5:30 pm, feed her around 6 pm.
    At 7 pm – 1 spoon of rice cereal
    BF again at 8:30 pm …baby goes to sleep
    Then she wakes up like 2 or 3 times. I feed her during that time.

Lately she started getting up 4 to 5 times and I feed her all those times. I don’t know if she is drinking well or going to sleep after few sips.

My baby, husband and I are sleepless. The following are my questions:-

-Is she waking up because she is underfed?

-Babies this age and who are exclusively breastfed, what do they typically eat?

-Could there be any other reason for waking up?

Your response would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Sangeeetha

Default Re: No sleep...Need your help!

I agree this is hard. My twins (now 3) woke up at least once a night until they were 17 months old. It's not easy to be so tired, and getting up during the middle of sleep really, really sucks.

Babies this age do wake up during the night because they need to eat. They really are hungry. Your body makes more and fattier milk at night (due to a hormone called prolactin that is produced during your sleep cycle). The milk she's getting during the day may not be as rich as what she gets at night.

You asked, "Is she waking up because she is underfed?" The answer might be, "No, she is waking up so that she won't be underfed." This is good news! Your body and hers are communicating properly so that she gets the nutrients she needs.

Remember that night feeding is a normal part of a breastfed baby's behavior, maybe through the first year (or longer in my twins' case).

The other possibility is that she is waking during the night to be close to you. She is away from you during the day and may be craving the closeness, which she gets at night. You could try sleeping with your baby. This would make it easier to nurse at night, so that you don't have to get out of bed. And your husband might not even have to wake up! Or move the crib right next to your bed so that you don't have to get out of bed to nurse. That helped A TON when I had this situation!

You could try more solid foods, if you wanted. But think about the protein and fat content of typical baby foods: pureed vegetables, rice cereal, fruits ... sounds like a diet I would go on to lose weight! So don't plan on it necessarily getting her to sleep longer at night.

So:
    1. This is hard!
    2. You are doing the best thing for your baby, nursing her at night.
    3. She will grow out of it and it will get easier.

Good luck!

I guess some babies are good sleepers and others not. My son had about a week around 4 mo where he slept a good 6-8 hours. Then he went back to waking up once in the night to eat. At 6 mo he stopped waking up to eat, but still fusses a few times during the night.

It seems like your LO should be able to drink more in one sitting. I think at this age, babies normal bottle size is 4-7 oz. and they are usually okay to go 6-8 hrs (overnight) without eating. I would try more solids, but you do have to strike that balance between testing the eating thing and providing mostly BM for nutrition.

It must be really tough going for so long without good sleep. I am also a full time working mom and can only imagine. The bed sharing idea is a good one to help get some sleep, but can be hard later on. My sister is currently trying to get her 3 and 5 yr olds to sleep by themselves since she nursed and slept with them when younger. Best of luck!

She also could be teething, my LO has always woken up several times at night (mostly towards morning), but we cosleep so I never know how often because we fall right back to sleep. Since you have to go to work she isn't bfing on demand so she is probably making up for that during the night which is totally and completely fine especially for the needed attention and closeness and extra feedings.

You could try cosleeping to get more sleep, because there is no substitute for you, and sleep training would not be in her best interest.

You can get through this!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

My daughter is doing the exact same thing. At 2 mo. she was sleeping 7 to 8 hours a night, then at 4 she woke up once or twice. Now at 6 mo. she is waking 3-5 times a night. She sleeps with us, and that makes it easier. I don't know if feeding her more solids will help, as my LO eats sweet potatoes/applesauce throughout the day after bf, and she still wakes up all throughout the night.