Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do if Baby is Choking?

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default What to do if Baby is Choking?

I have noticed that all the advice about baby food of any type includes staying right with your baby in case they choke. Obviously, good advice! But, if DS were to choke, I don't know what I should be doing besides "being right there."

He used to kinda choke at the breast on occasion in the beginning months, and I would quickly sit him upright, lift his arms (I've been told this opens the diaphragm??) and wait for him to breathe again. Also, I know Linda said somewhere that you just have to trust in their gag reflex, etc. And don't offer choking hazards, naturally. I'm just wondering what to do and what NOT to do if something goes wrong!

Milk: sit upright, arm(s) up, wait. Anything else???

Puree: ???

Finger food: ???

Thanks!

Default Re: What to do if Baby is Choking?

One of the most invaluable things I did while pg was take an infant CPR course. I recommend it for everyone. Here is a useful diagram of what to do. We have it posted with our emergency numbers and other info that anyone taking care of our daughter or petsitting might need. I don't recommend using infant cpr on your dog, though

http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/infantcpr.html

One thing that you can do to learn more about how to care for your infant if he chokes is take a first aid class from your local red cross. Im giving you a link that talks about choking safety:

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/tips/choking.html

My baby is about the same age as yours and if you will notice developmentally if you put something small down that you would normally pick up with your thumb and first finger (pincher grasp) they use a hand grasp (the palm). That to me is kinda a protective mechanism because developmentally they are not quite ready for finger foods. Of course even when they get that skill you must be careful at first to make sure that they are really ready for that type of food.

I make most of his food homemade and at this point it is all strained and pureed.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Evin
    One of the most invaluable things I did while pg was take an infant CPR course. I recommend it for everyone. [/url]
    Me too ... I think it should be a requirement for all moms and dads to be.

The class we took while I was prego did one evening on infant CPR and one evening on choking. This is the information and techniques we learned on choking:

First Aid Tips - Infant Choking

However, I would highly recommend getting trained properly ... especially since you'll be able to practice and have an instructor help you. In the peak of an actual choking crisis you don't want to be trying to follow written instructions without really knowing what you are doing.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

WOW!! I just read this and watched the video demo and emailed the link to all of my mama friends. Then I was having a bath with Wyatt and was holding him to float around....he turned his head and was trying to get water in his mouth and did and then choked!!!!!!!!! He went all stiff and was trying to breathe it took a second or 2! I have never been more scared in my life!! He is ok and gave me a big smile when it was all over. Thankfully I did not have to use CPR, but at least I knew what to do. Wow. Amazing that I just finished reading this.

Thank you so much for the great links and info. We will certainly be looking into a class around here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Princessnurse73
    My baby is about the same age as yours and if you will notice developmentally if you put something small down that you would normally pick up with your thumb and first finger (pincher grasp) they use a hand grasp (the palm). That to me is kinda a protective mechanism because developmentally they are not quite ready for finger foods. Of course even when they get that skill you must be careful at first to make sure that they are really ready for that type of food.

I make most of his food homemade and at this point it is all strained and pureed.
    Yes, this is a very good point. DS is still eating only purees, but I wanted info on finger foods for me ahead of time, and also if anyone with older kids was to read this post.

Again, Many Thanks!

Also, I appreciate the DO NOT tips from PTM's link:

Do not do a finger sweep since it could make things worse.

Do not do abdominal thrusts.

Because, honestly, I think these might have been my first reactions, based on the Heimlich (SP!) training back in, what, Middle School? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Princessnurse73
    take a first aid class from your local red cross.
    The kid I babysit choked the other day. His mom still spoonfeeds him mostly, even though he's a year old, but I give him some finger foods like crackers and grated fruits and vegetables. He choked on a grated apple, which surprised me as my son was eating sliced apples at a year (we never spoonfed though) and if I had not taken a CPR course right before having baby #1, I would have totally panicked.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!