Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many calories from breastmilk after 1yr?

Default How many calories from breastmilk after 1yr?

Hi

I went to my local LLL meeting a while ago (can't go regularly as I work on the day it's on ) - the Leader mentioned the number of calories a 2 year old (I think) should ideally get from breastmilk. She then compared this to the number of mamas who still feed at that age.
    I seem to recall it as 40% of calories from breastmilk, vs 0.?% of mamas who do - looking at it now I think I must have misheard

I really hope to feed my little one until he is 3, and know I will come up against questions from friends and family members. Arming myself with the facts now seems sensible. Plus, I seem to have become a little militant about breastfeeding and am eating up facts!

If anyone knows these stats I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Pabboo
    x
    First time Mummy to Xan born on 4/09/09.
    Loving the cloth and

Default Re: How many calories from breastmilk after 1yr?

According to the article Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits (K. Steinkraus, Mothering Magazine Issue 144 September/October 2007), "between the ages of 12 and 24 months, 448 milliliters of a mother's milk provide these percentages of the following minimum daily requirements: Energy 29%" (a.k.a. calories) "Folate 76%, Protein 43%, Vitamin B12 94%, Calcium 36%, Vitamin C 60%, Vitamin A 75%."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow.
    Thank you so much. Exactly what I was after.
    First time Mummy to Xan born on 4/09/09.
    Loving the cloth and

Wow. That's pretty amazing. And...I would think my own son is getting much more than 15oz a day of my milk. Wow. Really - that's amazing.

That was a GREAT article...Bookmarked in case I ever need it It really covers everything!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby