Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stage 2 Nipples?

Cool Stage 2 Nipples?

My DD is 7 months old. She is a GREAT breastfeeder. So great, in fact, that she often has refused the bottle (pumped BM) since I went back to work 4 months ago. She wavers between eating 2 to 12 ounces during the 7 hours I'm gone (I usually pump between 8 and 20 ounces while at work).

I want her to eat more with her babysitters, and they know that. However, I've watched her refuse the bottle and it's frustrating. I have made up for missed feedings before/after work and in the middle of the night-- no problemo. However, here's my drama: since she's started solids, she will eat 1 bottle (4 ounces) and ALL her solids... and that's all. Whatwhatwhat?!?!

We've tried different bottles, temperatures, positions, everything. However, we haven't tried stage 2 nipples because I've read that it can lead to early weaning because nipples are easier to get milk out of.

At this point, I'm worried about her weaning early and not getting proper nutrition, not because of the bottle nipple, but because she wants to fill up quickly to tide her over.

As a side note: she sleeps 4 hours with babysitters (anyone from my dad at our house to DH's mom at her house, to my sister at our house, to her regular babysitters), but only about 2 hours with us (same routine/schedule). We think it's awesome how intuitive she is.

Anyway, back to the point: OK to give stage 2 nipples so DD gets proper nutrition?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: Stage 2 Nipples?

Is she sleeping 4 out of the 7 hours she's away from you?

I don't think that the stage 2 nipple is going to cause her to wean. We had to do that with my daughter at a much younger age - around 3 months - because of her bottle refusal.

Have they tried cup feeding her, or mixing some milk in with her solids? If she's willing to eat from a spoon, maybe they can get her to eat some more milk that way.

Also, have you checked your milk for lipase? There's a sticky at the top of the pumping page talking about that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It sounds like your DD isn't all that thrilled about bottles, so I'd probably feel safe trying some Stage 2 nips and see what happens. You can always go back to the Stage 1 nips if she seems to like the Stage 2 too much. I also wouldn't worry all that much about her eating pattern- if she's nursing lots in the middle of the night, she's probably getting enough. Weight gain and diaper output give you the best picture of intake- so how are they?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Diapers and weight gain are phenomenal. I'm definitely not worried about her gaining enough. I was just worried about her converting to eating too much solids too early!

Yes, she sleeps 3-4 out of the 7 hours she's away from me! (Babysitters are making out like bandits! ) Reverse cycling, maybe when she was 3-6 months old. However, now she sleeps great and only nurses usually once (sometimes twice) these days since starting her on solids a few weeks ago. We tried stage 2 a few months ago and she was gagging lots. Now it's time to give it another shot, I think.

I think I'll cut down the amount of solids she eats at babysitters until she starts taking more milk. She eats a lot (BM and solids) on holidays and weekends, so hopefully we can get her on the right track after the new year!

Thanks for the votes of confidence!
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!