Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby food

Default Baby food

Ok so I have a couple of questions. DS is almost 7 mo. We've tried a couple things like banana and avocado, etc. He never took any of it, just spit it out. So we were at grandpa and grandma's house this weekend and he bought him some vegetable mix jar food, and fruit too. He ate the vegetable (I was so miffed that he ate for him and he doesn't take anything from DH or me!) but didn't like the fruit. Now I want to do BLS and make my own food, I don't want to do jar food, he bought that on his own. So my questions are, what's so bad about jar food? (I assume there is stuff added and it's not as healthy as stuff I would make). Also, how can I deal with the grandparents? I do everything different, BF CD BLS, so it's always been tough. What can I do that will get them to quit trying him to take all these foods and to get them to not give him jar food? I'm afraid he'll get used to the jar stuff and not take anything. Pretty much how do I stand my ground and show them I know what I'm doing? It's just hard and stressful and it feels like there's tension when we're around them
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Default Re: Baby food

Honestly, I have read that organic baby foods from the shelf are generally safer than homemade. Sorry, I can't remember where I read this. The reason being is that to have the organic label, manufacturers are strickly regulated from food growth and through processing. Usually homes are not as well equipped to prepare foods as neatly.

That's a tough one with grandparents, but you should stick to what you feel is best for your baby. If you are only doing homemade foods, I would just always have these ready so others do not have a reason to pull from jar/shelf baby foods. I think a cooperative attitude and gentle explanations of your feeding decisions also go a long way. If a little jar food accidentally gets into your LO's diet, there's really no harm done.

Jar food loses some of its vitamin content in the processing, and even homemade baby food will lose a little (but not as much). If you start BLS, that won't be an issue. By seven months even jar fed babies are encouraged to start finger foods. Will your baby be staying with them for long periods, or are you just visiting? If you are just visiting, feeding finger foods in front of them shouldn't be a problem. Could you tell a white lie and say your pediatrician recommended that you feed with real food instead? If they fuss, tell them the truth - it is your baby, you are doing it your way, they had their babies and they should just enjoy being with him and not focus on how you are choosing to teach him to eat.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Jarred foods often have added salt/sugar. I would also just stick with the finger foods- at 7 months, mama's milk is really all your baby needs, and solids are just for play and experimenting with new tastes/textures/motor skills.

I'm with the suggestion that you fall back on the "My pediatrician says..." argument to deal with the GPs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What kind of finger foods do you recommend? And do you guys think it's ok if they just can't stand to not feed him if I (or they) make something and he just has it when he's there? He's really not there very often, so it would be once a week at the most.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*megboo33 View Post
    What kind of finger foods do you recommend? And do you guys think it's ok if they just can't stand to not feed him if I (or they) make something and he just has it when he's there? He's really not there very often, so it would be once a week at the most.
    If you want, you can make some purees for them to feed him. That way you could control the food and the amount that they can feed him. You could also give them the finger foods if you wanted, to give to him.

Are you there while they are giving him food? I don't think there is anything wrong with the pureed foods, but my child didn't really eat them so it didn't matter.

You don't have to be 100% one way or the other. It is ok to offer whole foods and then also add some spoon fed food - if you and your husband are ok with it. If you are not ok with it, and just need them to respect your choices, that is a different matter. He is your child, not theirs.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes I am usually there. I think I will make some stuff. I want to go more with the breastfeed mostly for the first year or until they can eat like me, if that works. They just don't seem to get it But oh well, he is rarely with them so I don't think I have too much to worry about I guess.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

I use jarred w/ Olivia b/c she gets it from WIC. We use Beechnut b/c it seems the best b/c of her allergies. I make all her fruit stuff b/c she can't have citric or acsorbic acid and all jarred fruit has those. The meats are just meat and water, she does chicken and turkey, and then the veggies are just veggies and water if needed. At 7 mos you can do cunks of avocado, sweet poato, white potato, squash, cooked pieces of carrots, green beans, apples, pears, anything soft.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*megboo33 View Post
    Yes I am usually there. I think I will make some stuff. I want to go more with the breastfeed mostly for the first year or until they can eat like me, if that works. They just don't seem to get it But oh well, he is rarely with them so I don't think I have too much to worry about I guess.
    Well, you could make some purees and freeze them in an ice cube tray. I think that's about one ounce. And you can just give them one cube to feed him. That is very little - although for my baby that was a ton We didn't have much luck with purees.

You could also steam some carrots until they are pretty soft, same with other veggies and fruit and allow your parents to give him those.

The only thing that worries me with purees, older people and spoons is that they don't seem to respect it when the child stops eating. My in-laws were really bad about this and would try to keep shoveling food into babies mouths when they were spitting the food out and turning away. I made sure to watch them like a hawk when they were feeding MY baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That's exactly what they do! It's like in their minds you have to "train" baby to eat solids, which I am so not for! I keep trying to tell them the BLS thing and how it's on his time. They always try to get it back in his mouth and stuff. They seem to be better now. Sometimes it seems like we are both on the dfense. They are because they want to think they are right and me because I want to do it the right way KWIM? I think they are beginning to understand more. Maybe since they see that he is healthy and growing fine they accept my ways
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10