Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactating at 8 weeks

Default Relactating at 8 weeks *updated*

My daughter is 8 weeks old and I really wanted to breastfeed her. She was born at 37 1/2 weeks via induction, because of preeclampsia. I asked for the cord to not be clamped right away though they did anyways and moved her over to the warming bed in less then 2 minutes of her being born. I was not given the chance to breastfeed her till at least an hour and a half after she was born and by then she was very sleepy. I tried breastfeeding her as much as possible within the first 24 hours, but she would not latch on. She would fall asleep as soon as she was at the breast. She became jaundiced within the first 48 hours of her birth and I was told it was bad enough that she needed to be under the bili lights. It was not offered one single time to use a bili blanket at the hospital to try to keep her skin to skin or even to attempt to breastfeed. The bili blanket was only mentioned when I asked about her being released to come home. I seen a board certified LC at the hospital, but she wasn't really any help. She had gotten me a SNS, but only let me try feeding one time with it and when that didn't go well she automatically jumped to formula telling me to pump with the hospital grade pump there which I did. The LC wanted me to rent a pump, but I couldn't afford it.I asked for the SNS back before we left the hospital & was told "Don't worry about it, just pump" I was never given any help though at all with trying to latch my daughter on, I wasn't even told how to latch her on correctly so she fights and cries.

I bought an Evenflo single electric pump since that's all I could afford at the time. I pumped with that for a couple weeks and gave up, because the horn didn't fit right and were very uncomfortable and can't be changed. If I didn't have the pump held as tightly as possible to the breast milk would leak out the bottom of the horn. I'm still using the same pump now since I can't get a better one til the end of Jan at earliest. I know it's possible to relactate at this point and I'd like to, but I need ideas on how to. I've been using a nipple shield which has been a huge help with at least getting her to even think about taking the breast.
    Last edited by @llli*mama2myangels; December 22nd, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Default Re: Relactating at 8 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Are you on WIC? WIC loans pumps to mamas who BF.

Here is a good thread about a mama who relactated after 5 weeks:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=78079

just put your baby to your breast and see if you can start with comfort sucking. Have you tried putting baby to your breast?
    Yes I'm on wic. I'll have to call tomorrow about getting one. I'm trying as I type to just offer the breast for comfort. She will latch with the shield, but I'm not making much other then a few drops so she gets mad at pulls away.

A few drops is a start. You can build on that.

To get her interested in the breast, try offering the breast when she is very drowsy and just wants to comfort suck. And/or offer the breast after giving her some formula so she is not so hungry.

A supplemental nursing system (SNS) is great for supplementing at the breast so you are
    stimulating your breasts to make more milk while she sucks, but she is also getting instant flow of formula. I bet there are instructions online for making a homemade one with tubing. I'll dig around some or maybe another mama can chime in.
    That's what I have been doing. It's working somewhat as long as I have the nipple shield on.

HI there!

I'm the lady in the post about relactation. YOU CAN DO IT! The key is as much stimulation of the breast as possible. I let my LO latch on when he wanted to comfort suck before naptime. Look on ebay for a lact-aid to save money. I preferred the lact-aid over the Medela SNS. I also rented a hospital grade pump, check into the WIC program for that. You can also hand express as much as possible.

I would feed my LO formula through the SNS then after he was done I pumped. Then I let him comfort suck before naps and anytime he was fussy I whipped it out! I also hand expressed any time I had, like in the shower. I wanted to remove/stimulate as much milk as possible.

I also took 3 pills of fenugreek 3 times a day (at GNC), ate two packets of instant oatmeal per day (also ate oatmeal cookies etc when I could), 3 pills of blessed thistle 3 x's a day too. In the end I did have to start using domperidone and that kicked me into high gear.

If you can get her to latch without the shield that would help out tremendously. Maybe you could let her nap while sucking on you a few times so she associates the breast with good feelings. Getting a double pump is ideal as it stimulates more prolactin production.

Really try to find another LC. Some of them in private practice are wonderful. You need one that supports you in relactation. Not all of them are as positive about it. If you can get her to latch with the SNS on that is a GREAT start.

Let us know how you are doing and how we can help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahboosmom View Post
    HI there!

I'm the lady in the post about relactation. YOU CAN DO IT! The key is as much stimulation of the breast as possible. I let my LO latch on when he wanted to comfort suck before naptime. Look on ebay for a lact-aid to save money. I preferred the lact-aid over the Medela SNS. I also rented a hospital grade pump, check into the WIC program for that. You can also hand express as much as possible.

I would feed my LO formula through the SNS then after he was done I pumped. Then I let him comfort suck before naps and anytime he was fussy I whipped it out! I also hand expressed any time I had, like in the shower. I wanted to remove/stimulate as much milk as possible.

I also took 3 pills of fenugreek 3 times a day (at GNC), ate two packets of instant oatmeal per day (also ate oatmeal cookies etc when I could), 3 pills of blessed thistle 3 x's a day too. In the end I did have to start using domperidone and that kicked me into high gear.

If you can get her to latch without the shield that would help out tremendously. Maybe you could let her nap while sucking on you a few times so she associates the breast with good feelings. Getting a double pump is ideal as it stimulates more prolactin production.

Really try to find another LC. Some of them in private practice are wonderful. You need one that supports you in relactation. Not all of them are as positive about it. If you can get her to latch with the SNS on that is a GREAT start.

Let us know how you are doing and how we can help!
    Right now I have no money to do anything to get a better pump or to get supplements. I plan to do as much as I can when I have money at the end of Jan. I'm calling in a bit to bug wic about an electric pump. At this point she wants nothing to do with the breast without the shield.

Default Re: Relactating at 8 weeks *updated*

Getting hopefully a better pump tomorrow from WIC! this works. I've heard of some having PIS's

got a lactina select from wic. been pumping as much as i can and letting her comfort nurse whenever she wants

i have the 24 mm & the 27mm. One more size up might be a bit better. *pumping now so typing one handed*

There a cute smilie.

I also had to move up to 30 mm to get a good fit. If you aren't able to get a bigger size, try lubing the horns with olive oil.

Also, take and old bra or sports bra and cut slits in it and slide the horns through so you can pump hands free.
    that is really cute!!!

that is a good idea, i have tons of sports bras

It sounds like you have a plan in place for relactating. Definitely nurse as much as possible, because your body will respond better to your baby than the pump. Aim to pump at least 8x a day for 15-20 min a time.
    Making this my new years resolution. Try as HARD as i can to relactate. I wanted so bad to be able to completely breastfeed Ella and it got screwed up by the hospital.