Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "ped pushing foods at 6 months" thread

Default Yet another "ped pushing foods at 6 months" thread

DS had his 6 month appt today.

DH took him, and tends to believe everything he hears because ped is a doctor, and I'm not. Our ped is a good doctor, and he was ok with holding off til 6 months for solids, but now...

Ped recommended(and I think scolded DH) to really start offering solids, since we haven't yet. Of course, he wants to start with rice cereal(constipating, right?). Then onto bananas(more constipation?), then apples, then onto veggies.

I know we don't have to do what the doctor says. But isn't that all kind of backwards? And developmentally, he's not there yet--doesn't sit up by himself, and still has tongue thrust reflex.

Is the tongue thrust reflex something that will go away on its own, when baby is really ready for food? Or is it something you have to 'teach' the baby--you know, spoon food into his mouth over and over, til he "gets" it, and swallows readily?

Should veggies come before fruit? I thought someone here had mentioned not to do fruits first, because baby might get a sweet tooth, and not like veggies. When you did start solids, how much and how often. I don't know.

I've held off on the solid food for longer than everyone else expected so I think everyone is anxious to see DS eat 'real food'.
    Last edited by @llli*turtle23; December 18th, 2009 at 02:24 PM.
    First time Mama to DS
    Born 6/17/09

Birth: 8 lbs, 7 oz
    1 month: 11 lbs, 1 oz
    2 month: 13 lbs, 13 oz
    4 month: 16 lbs, 10 oz
    6 months: 18 lbs, 9 oz
    9 months: 20 1bs, 15 oz
    11 months: 22 lbs, 2oz
    12 months: 21 lbs 15 oz, 31 inches!
    18 months: 25 lbs 11 oz, 33 inched

BF'ing now for 20 months!! and going strong!

And now, with EDD October 19, 2011

Default Re: Yet another "ped pushing foods at 6 months" thread

I have also heard/read to give baby veggies first so that they don't get accustomed to only swet foods. DS is almost 9 months old and we started solids soon after he turned 6 months old, but we did it veerrry slowly. He still doesn't eat many solids. I was told about wholesomebabyfood.com from someone on here and it's really helped me. I printed out a chart they have on there that says when and what a baby can eat. And you're right, you don't have to listen to the ped...doctors don't know everything. You sound like you know what's best for your LO. Good luck!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

The advice about starting with veggies because of getting used to sweet stuff is silly IMO. Have you ever tasted breast milk? It tastes like sugar. We started DS1 off on fruits and sweeter vegetables, and at 2 years old he eats a varied diet and not just sweet stuff. If you were to start off with spinach or something not very sweet, I imagine it wouldn't go over very well.

I would totally pass on the rice cereal. There is no reason for it. Here are some good LLL resources for solids:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

As I understand it, the reason they recommend rice cereal mixed w/ breastmilk to start out with is because it is the least likely thing to cause allergies, it is fortified with iron and it gives the baby iron needed at this point in their development (6 mo) and its texture can be varied to match the baby's mouth skills -- you can make it thick or thin. If you get a brand that is fortified w/ vitamin C this will increase the iron absorption. This sounded good to me and it is what I started both DDs out on. Just another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*will.smom View Post
    As I understand it, the reason they recommend rice cereal mixed w/ breastmilk to start out with is because it is the least likely thing to cause allergies, it is fortified with iron and it gives the baby iron needed at this point in their development (6 mo) and its texture can be varied to match the baby's mouth skills -- you can make it thick or thin. If you get a brand that is fortified w/ vitamin C this will increase the iron absorption. This sounded good to me and it is what I started both DDs out on. Just another perspective.
    According to our ped, the iron in formula and cereal is not very easily absorbed. The iron in breastmilk is better absorbed, so why fill a baby up with something that's going to take up room in their belly and not really have any nutritional value? Formula fed babies might need more iron, but breastfed babies not so much.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

The advice to not give fruits first comes from "common wisdom", which is often wrong.. They assume that since fruit is sweet that little ones won't want veggies - heck, my girl put the fruit down and went back for the broccoli when we gave her a choice. Breastmilk is very sweet, it is what they are used to at this point. I agree with the other posters about the rice cereal - we skipped it, the iron is not as easily absorbed and it is potentially constipating, so we went for iron rich foods instead.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    According to our ped, the iron in formula and cereal is not very easily absorbed. The iron in breastmilk is better absorbed, so why fill a baby up with something that's going to take up room in their belly and not really have any nutritional value? Formula fed babies might need more iron, but breastfed babies not so much.
    But it still has more iron than most other food, so if it is a choice between rice cereal and other food, rice cereal is better in terms of iron. You have to start foods sometime, and rice cereal has more iron than most foods, so why not start with that?
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

natural iron is beter then added irons.
    Dr sears has good info about adding iron on his web site.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    natural iron is beter then added irons.
    Dr sears has good info about adding iron on his web site.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp
    Yup. The focus on iron is probably something pushed by peds used to formula feeding, but BM is the perfect food before a year. Solids are for experimentation at first, there is no point in stuffing them full of a bunch of rice cereal that will just constipate them. The iron in your milk is way better.
    Beth

The new reccomendations are to start cereal last, after 9 mos, especially if baby has any stomach issues, allergies or reflux. It's hard to digest and just plain unnecessary in any baby getting enough bm or formula. Meat is a better source of iron if you're concerned.

We didn't start solids till 8 mos. Olivia has a lot of allergies though and in the 2 mos of trying solids, we're up to 4 safe foods, chicken, turkey, carrots, and green beans and I think white potatos are o.k.

No, the tongue thrust will go away naturally when the child is ready to handle something else. If you're still seeing it, it's nature's way of telling you not yet. You don't need to teach a baby to eat and teaching him to ignore the tongue thrust is doing him no favors.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)