Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long did you do the 4 day rule

Default Re: How long did you do the 4 day rule

We continued to wait 3 or 4 days between introducing new foods until DS1 was well after 1 year.

During that time I gave him the new food AND continued to give him other foods that he was already okay with. I kept a very informal notebook to keep track of what foods I'd offered and the date.

Signs of immediate allergic reaction include: hives, vomiting, problems breathing, red itchy eyes

Signs of delayed reaction include: upset tummy, loose poops, bloody poops, mucous in poops

Its important to know that the tendency to be allergic is inherited but NOT the specific allergy. In our case I am allergic to cats and when younger had lots of environmental allergies (pollen, grass, etc) but no known food allergies. DS1 has multiple food allergies but so far tests negative to common environmental allergies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: How long did you do the 4 day rule

There are two good reasons to wait 3 days (or more) between introducing new foods. One, it takes a previous exposure to have an allergic reaction. So if you feed banana today and then banana tomorrow she could have a reaction the 2nd day. So in the three day time frame baby can have anything known that she tolerates and at least two tries of the new food.
    And two, that way if baby does have a reaction you know what she is reacting to. I never dreamed my daughter would be allergic and she reacted to cranberries (rash), milk (rash), and eggs (hives). The cranberry and milk was red around her mouth and where it touched her (like if a bit got on her cheek). Eggs made hives all over her little face. Very scary and not something you want to mess with. I say better safe than sorry and if you have any history of allergies I would keep benadryl in the house just in case. Not trying to scare you, I just wish someone would have told me more. I did lots of research before hand but like I said, I never thought in a million years that she would have food allergies.