Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did you do the 4 day rule

Default How long did you do the 4 day rule

my LO is 7 mos - we have been introducing solids (slowly) - he's only tried about 4 foods at this point.

I have been doing the 4 day rule - just wondering how long you did the 4 day rule?

Thanks

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: How long did you do the 4 day rule

I did 7 days, not 4. But I'd say as long as you aren't seeing any reactions, 4 days is probably okay.

At any rate, I kept with that schedule until she was about 13-14 months. No problems with that.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

The IBCLC MD I know said that if you're going to see a reaction you'll see it within 2-3 days so I've only been waiting 3 days and haven't had any problems.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I have been doing 3 days and have been fine (per two drs. reccommendation). My little guy is 7 1/2 mo. My sister said she gave up "testing" foods pretty early with both her girls. However, we do not have a lot of allergies in our family. You would probably be able to see any reaction within a couple days. I am trying to introduce more variety, but being careful not to overlap any new foods at the same time.

My ped said the AAP is amending recommendation to wait several days between trying new foods. I haven't actually read it myself though. She said how is she supposed to tell parents that the advice she has given for years has changed.

When you introduce a new food, and wait 2 to 4 days, do you continue to give that food during the waiting period or just wait w/o giving ANY solids?

Also, what reactions are you supposed to look for?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I think you can give whatever you know they don't have a reaction to or to that same solid you're introducing. Look for a rash near the anus, or other signs of intolerance.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

With ds1, I waited between 4-7 days until he was around 13-14 mos, like one of the pp. With ds2, I was less cautious, but I was also at home with him so felt like I was more likely to notice and react to any adverse reactions than what ds1's dcp was able to.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I read that most reactions occurr within 4 hours and might be a rash, vomiting, or diarrhea, but I would think anything not normal should be mentioned to your ped. We have been trying new foods like this example:

Trying new veggie combo carrots & tomato. He has had carrot just fine, but not tomato. So for the next 3 days, the carrot & tomato blend would be the only veggie he eats, but he might get various fruits and of course cereal. All the fruits be would ones that we have tried already.

At 7.5 months, we have tried most of the stage one foods so I am now trying to mix up the daily combinations a bit. Not sure if this is right, but seems logical to vary his diet a bit since this is healthy for people in general. Also seems a good way to make him more receptive to new tastes and less picky.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    My ped said the AAP is amending recommendation to wait several days between trying new foods. I haven't actually read it myself though. She said how is she supposed to tell parents that the advice she has given for years has changed.
    I don't know about the AAP, but I do know I read so much conflicting information in the last few months before starting my girl on solids. After the more recent info I read, I chose not to wait several days in between foods, as I have no history of food allergies in either side of the family. From what I read, I gathered that the advice to delay several days in between stems from when people were told to start feeding purees at four months (or earlier, my mom was told to start me at two months). At that age, the gut is not developed, so I can see why there would be a higher chance of a bad reaction. We are not doing milk, sugars, or added salt, but have been OK with mixed food introduction and regular spices other than salt. Also, from what I understand, that works better with breastfed babies than formula fed as they are used to a more varied flavor and digestive quality from your milk.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!