Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 month old never "asks" to nurse

Default 14 month old never "asks" to nurse

Addy is 14 months, and says maybe a dozen words and does a couple of signs, but she doesn't ever ask to nurse, with words, signs, or gestures. No lifting up the shirt, etc. I offer to nurse at certain times each day or when she sucks on her lip and gets cuddly. Is this unusual? Does it mean she's not really that interested in nursing and I'm just offering too much? Or am I just clued in enough to her that she doesn't need to ask?

Default Re: 14 month old never "asks" to nurse

Sucking on her lip and getting cuddle seem like signs to me. If she knows you'll respond to those then why would she need to do more?

I doubt you're offering too much. At 14 months if she didn't want it when you offered she wouldn't take it. Same with interest. If she wasn't interested I don't think she'd do it. My DD self-weaned at two weeks shy of 12 months. When they don't want it - they let you know! She probably just doesn't feel the need to ask directly. She knows it's there when she needs it.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My son didn't ask until almost 16 mos, now he never shuts up about it I would guess that your probably right about knowing when to offer so she doesnt need to demand it but I'm not an expert.

Since nursing your baby is just about the healthiest thing you can do for her, you just can't ever offer too much. Unless you want to wean- in which case your LO might be presenting you with an opportunity to do so.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, you're good at reading the signs! Lucky baby

My 15 month old isn't verbal enough to ask to nurse but if I ask her if she wants milk she says "no" if she doesn't want it and runs over to me if she does.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

My 18 mo. old never asks to nurse, either. She is quite smart - and understands almost everything we say and will respond, but doesn't have a lot of words or signs, yet.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Your lo sounds perfectly normal. Keep offering as much as you want!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Ok thanks! I've just read and heard so much about toddlers who are constantly asking to nurse, so I was starting to wonder. She definately knows how to say no if she's not intersted (shakes her head "no" or pulls away).

If she's not saying 'no' to you, as my 'big' boy did when he was about that age, I'd say continue as you are unless you no longer want to. You'll definitely know when she's out-grown it. Mine ran off shaking his head. I was gutted lol
    Mum to B aged 2 1/2 and O aged 22 weeks.