Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: building up supply to go back to work

Default building up supply to go back to work

I am wondering how I should go about getting a supply built up for returning to work, My doc says i need to leave about 14 oz a day... I pump after my morning feeding and can get 4-5 oz... but I feel like I will not have enough just doing it this one time a day but I don't want to do it too much so that I get engorged. Any suggestions on how to get a supply built up.. I probably have about 20 oz saved up now and I have about 3 weeks to get more... Thanks!
    first time momma to Jax
    born 11-15-09 6 lbs 10 oz
    1 month 9 lbs 1 oz

... one month down many more to go

Default Re: building up supply to go back to work

I would just go with the facts and not if you feel like you have enough pumping once a day or not. Remember you can build up a stash in 3 weeks (21 days at 4-5 oz is 84-105 additional oz) and then you will be pumping at work to replace what your baby is eating while you're gone.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

You don't really need to save up that much. What I did is pump after my morning feeding for the 3 weeks or so leading up to going back to work. I would try to get 1-2 bags (I use bags, so bag = feeding) per day, but that was probably over kill. I pumped after my morning feed, b/c that's when I get the most.

After I went back to work, I would pump each day and use that fresh supply for the following day. I've never had to "dip" into my freezer stash, and in fact, I usually get about 1 extra bag per day... just like when I was pumping while still on leave!

You have to think of the stash you are building now as an emergency stash that you may never NEED to use. If you find that you aren't getting enough each day to use for the following day, then you may have to pump extra at night or weekends (I had to do that when I got sick and my production went down).

Good luck! One of my favorite parts of the day is picking my son up from daycare, taking him straight home, and getting right to nursing. He gets so excited about it!

I go back to work Wednesday and what I've been doing is pumping first thing in the morning while nursing little man on the other side, then pumping later in the morning both sides while he is sleeping. I have been getting about 4 oz. a day this way. But I agree with the previous poster to not stress, look upon it as for emergencies. I know that is hard!!

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't thinking of it as emergency stash. How long is frozen milk good for in a regular freezer, is it better to use a deep freezer?
    first time momma to Jax
    born 11-15-09 6 lbs 10 oz
    1 month 9 lbs 1 oz

... one month down many more to go

6 mos reg. freezer, 12 mos deep freeze.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.