Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing after surgery???

Default Nursing after surgery???

There is a good possibility that I will have to have my Gallbladder removed after the Holidays. It's not confirmed yet, but it's looking like it. This is usually an out-patient surgery. When would it be safe to nurse him again? I will talk to the Surgeon and Anesthesiologist about this as well. Thats if it even happens.

My son is 13 months and we have no plans on weaning anytime soon.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: Nursing after surgery???

I had major inpatient surgery on my abdomen when my son was 11 mos old, the general rule of thumb is once the effects of the anesthesia have worn off you're fine to nurse.

you can always ask what specific anesthesia they will be using and have a leader look it up for you
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I had my GB out 2 months ago when my LO was 4 months old. It was outpatient surgery, which I was so happy about! I nursed after surgery as soon as I felt okay enough to hold my baby. That turned out to be about 2 hours post surgery.

As suggested above, you can ask the anesthesiologist which specific meds will be used and then ask an lll leader or ibclc, but chances are you'll be fine to bf. Beware of the rule that drs and nurses love to give as a standard: pump and dump for 24 hours. Usually NOT necessary!

Best of luck, and feel better soon.
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

This is so good to hear... I need surgery for an abdominal hernia i got during a fall when my son was 5 weeks old...I've seen 2 surgeons for it...the first one told me it would be same day surgery in & out but i couldnt nurse for a week!!!!!! Huh????? then i went to see a 2nd surgeon he said its inpatient 4-5 day stay and i had to wait to nurse til i got out of the hospital...needless to say my son is 11 months old and i still havent got the surgery because i refuse to stop nursing for a week...last time i was hospitalized when he was 5 months i had a hard time getting him back on the breast because my mom was giving him bottles of ebm while at home and i would only be nursing during visiting hours when they would take him and after about 4 days of me being hospitalized he didnt want the breast...so I had to let him cry it out til he was really hungry then he'll take the breast it took about 2 days to get him back to normal...It was very sad for me i thought i would have to stop now i'm terrified of going in to the hospital for anything...but its good to hear it should be fine, I'm going to call the 1st surgeon that said it'll be same day surgery and get this done, now that i've lost most my baby weight that ugly lump on the right side of my belly is really looking unattractive so i think i'll get it fixed
    MOMMY OF 5 WONDERFUL BABIES
    NATALIE 10/3/88
    JESS 3/17/93
    JOSH 3/23/96
    ABBIE 7/7/97
    BABY GABRIEL 2/3/09
    LIL GABRIEL'S ALWAYS MILKING THE
    AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!
    AND IF I'M HERE... I'M PROBABLY OR

What about asking for a spinal (numb but awake) instead of general anesthesia (put to sleep)? Then there would be no drugs in your system to get to your milk.

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically on November 13th. My baby was 10 months old. I entered the hospital through the Emergency Room because I had no idea what was wrong with me. So to hear I needed surgery pronto was a shock! I was not prepared. I wasn't leaving the hospital! I was admitted and had the surgery in two days time. Luckily I had stored/frozen milk. I ended up having all sorts of tests that precluded keeping my milk while I was hospitalized. I pumped religiously in the hospital but had to dump it according to the lab tecnicians based on the injections I received for the scans to find out what exactly was wrong with me. After four total days in the hospital (I was NOT allowed to have my baby visit me due to H1N1 scare and other health safety issues) so I suffered without her for those four days but you but your life's savings, I did everything I was told to do. I was walking right after surgery making sure to get rid of the gas. I was excreting right away (making sure I was drinking non stop!). I wanted to get home pronto to see my baby. My DH was wonderful. He took care of our DD while at night and then after bringing her to daycare, he was by my side all day helping with the pumping and dumping. I pumped at 5:30 am, 10:30 am, 4:00 pm, and 10:30 pm. When I returned home, I did notice a slight drop in production. And my doctor said that was normal. I was able to up my production back to pre-surgery by the end of two weeks recuperating at home. I'm still pumping and BFing my baby at one year old!!!! Good luck and don't panic. I'm a prime example that surgery doesn't have to be a set back permanently!