Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: How long to regain weight?

Default Re: How long to regain weight?

He is such a sickly baby ugh. They also checked his weight and its down again. They put silver nitrate on his cord area to cauterize it, the redness seems better this AM to me. His jaundice seems gone now too that is good.

We are still working hard to breastfeed, he latches on great but doesn't stimulate the breast well or have the energy to get a full feeding. I'm finishing him off with mostly BM some formula.

At this point we need to get him better or he will end up back in the hospital. I am not sure if he will need to be a combination feeder or if my supply will pick up when he's nursing better. I just don't have the time to around the clock pump with my other son here as well. I'm trying, I really am!

My IBCLC told me my milk came in but not a full supply since my baby isn't nursing great. She said it could go either way,

I hate having to post on here these things I feel so ashamed. But it's the truth of my experience and hopefully someone else can learn from it too.

Colby is beautiful otherwise. He is doing great co-sleeping and is super cuddly. He loves the RS too!! Logan isn't sure about the big brother thing yet he won't go near him. Hee hee.... but I suppose it's better than hitting him.

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

You have nothing to be ashamed about, mama. You're doing what you need to do to get that little baby healthy. No shame in that! I hope things start looking up for you and the little guy soon.

Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sentimental.geek View Post
    You have nothing to be ashamed about, mama. You're doing what you need to do to get that little baby healthy. No shame in that! I hope things start looking up for you and the little guy soon.

absolutely!! thinking of you and the little man, praying things get easier every day.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Nothing at all to be ashamed about Lisa. First rule is always to feed the baby Get him well, and then work on supply later
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Lisa, you're doing great. It sounds like a tough situation and you're doing your best.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

LIsa...you are doing what you have to do to make your son well. THAT'S NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF! First order of business is helping Colby get well. Once he's strong and healthy, the breastfeeding will fall in line.

You're in my thoughts...sending lots of and and your way.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Lisa, you're doing great. It sounds like a tough situation and you're doing your best.
    Once you get him healthy and he has a little bit more energy, he'll boost your supply. I KNOW its hard with 2...believe me Do what you can, supplement(with BM first of course) if you have to, but you also NEED to REST. Part of building up a supply is letting your body rest.

I remember feeling like total and complete #### after my PPH...the blood loss really drains the life out of you(no pun intended). Give yourself time to heal, and get Colby healthy.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of! Many people here have used formula to get going after rough starts The most important is having a healthy baby and happy mommy!!!

Is your mom still there? Anyone who can help with Logan and house stuff so you don't need to worry about all that stuff?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post

Absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of! Many people here have used formula to get going after rough starts The most important is having a healthy baby and happy mommy!!!

Is your mom still there? Anyone who can help with Logan and house stuff so you don't need to worry about all that stuff?
    Yep my mom is here for another few days. We seem to be limping by today attempting to breastfeed and following through with pumped milk. He still has a great latch just doesn't really have any motivation to suck yet. Wets have improved dramatically- you know I can't believe we went almost a whole day without any wet diapers. That is so scary!

He had his first bath too, loved it!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Yep my mom is here for another few days. We seem to be limping by today attempting to breastfeed and following through with pumped milk. He still has a great latch just doesn't really have any motivation to suck yet. Wets have improved dramatically- you know I can't believe we went almost a whole day without any wet diapers. That is so scary!

He had his first bath too, loved it!
    YAY! Glad to see that things are looking up. Hour by hour. Shiloh was SEVERELY jaundiced...like his levels were near 20 and he was hospitalized under the lights...so I can tell you, once he gets all of that junk out of his system, he will have so much more energy. Shiloh was SOOOO difficult to get to eat those first few weeks.

Good luck and thanks for getting us updated. Shiloh and I prayed for you guys last night and will continue to do so. You are doing a great job!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!