Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How long to regain weight?

Default Re: How long to regain weight?

Well last night I gave him 2 OZ of formula and he was SO hungry. He didn't have any weird reactions to it. I kept getting him up every 2 hours to nurse, but not seeing much improvement yet. He goes to breast and latches on great and falls asleep immediately. I am only getting the milk into him by breast compression right now.

This morning I was able to pump a few oz. so that will get me through a bit as I continue to work him on the breast. We shall see! I didn't think this would all be happening as he latched on so great and sucked for hours his first day of birth.

I had retained membrane after the birth but I don't think that is the case anymore. My bleeding is almost gone already. My milk just isn't coming in super strong from lack of nursing, the pump seems to be helping though.

Will keep you all posted, thank you for the ideas and encouragement!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Hang in there!

DS1 was jaundiced and VERY sleepy. I remember being really aggressive about tickling him behind the ear to keep him awake during nursing sessions. It almost felt "mean" but totally necessary.

Thoughts on anemia? Since you had a lot of bleeding then maybe you're a little anemic? Can DH get you iron supplements and / or high iron foods to eat?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I am on 2 iron pills per day already.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Hang in there, Lisa! I am thinking of you today and sending lots of gushing, milky your way!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Lisa - sounds like you've got everything under control!

I hope you're not offended by my suggestions - I was just brainstorming ideas to help and retained placenta and anemia will both affect milk supply. Both are also super easy to check for and fix. But it sounds like you've got both of those taken care of.
    Lynn

Lol sorry for the short reply, it is hard to type on my iPhone. Today has been rough. I kept saying Colby stinks. Then I noticed his umbilical area all red and streaky. So now we are dealing with that infection. He is beyond lethargic right now again. Thankfully I have a bit of pumped BM now if he is too tired to nurse. Sigh. I am exhausted both physically and mentally now.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Lol sorry for the short reply, it is hard to type on my iPhone. Today has been rough. I kept saying Colby stinks. Then I noticed his umbilical area all red and streaky. So now we are dealing with that infection. He is beyond lethargic right now again. Thankfully I have a bit of pumped BM now if he is too tired to nurse. Sigh. I am exhausted both physically and mentally now.
    mama

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Oh Lisa!!! I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time!!! How's baby doing?
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Oh Lisa!!! I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time!!! How's baby doing?
    I've been thinking about you, Lisa!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.