Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How long to regain weight?

Default Re: How long to regain weight?

It's not surprising you aren't getting much with the pump. Pumping just isn't as efficient, particularly before your milk is fully in. You'll get there soon, mama.

it will be okay!! You know Bennett had bottles in the NICU. He had bottles for 6 days, and we came home and there was no nipple confusion. If he has to have bottles for a few days until your milk is in full force, he will be okay! I know it's hard, but I know you are worried. Do what you have to do, no one will judge you for taking care of your baby!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My LO had a rough time nursing and fell asleep every time she got near my breast until she was given a bottle and actually got some food in her. She was a pound below birth weight at 1 month and I was terrified. However, once she took the first bottle things went up hill right away. She gained almost a full pound in that next week and then started nursing a little more each day and before long was nursing like a pro.

You are doing great - just keep trying!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I'm not worried about nip confusion at all. He already had a paci and much prefers the boob.

We held off on formula tonight, I pumped enough to syringe into his mouth and he gave us one big pee and a little poop. So I'm going to get through the night and then reconsider in the AM. I would rather deal with formula in the morning than in at night time in case he pukes or whatnot.

But we bought it in case I need it.

I'm just taking it hour by hour and trying to make the best choices for him. It's hard but that's what being a mommy is all about.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mary.mud View Post
    My LO had a rough time nursing and fell asleep every time she got near my breast until she was given a bottle and actually got some food in her. She was a pound below birth weight at 1 month and I was terrified. However, once she took the first bottle things went up hill right away. She gained almost a full pound in that next week and then started nursing a little more each day and before long was nursing like a pro.

You are doing great - just keep trying!
    Ohh good to know!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

More hugs! Sounds like he's doing more feeding and you're very wise to take it hour by hour! Remember that the MOST important thing is a healthy baby so of you need to supplement to get through the next few days it's just not a big deal. Do keep pumping - even if you're not getting much it will help stimulate your body.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Lynn

On your birth story thread someone (I think mommal) made a good suggestion about checking for retained placenta if still having supply problems. I think anemia also affects supply (thinking of blood loss).
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    If you are going to be pumping a lot, it will be a lifesaver for you so you can hold your boys while pumping.
    I couldn't have pumped without (with DS let alone now)

Pumping (and checking for retained placenta) will get your supply back up. in a few weeks you will be looking back at this and wondering why you were so worried. Just remember to pump everytime you supplement. Power pumping can really help a lot. Are you getting enough skin to skin time with Colby? I have found it really hard with an older one around. It is sometimes difficult to do the intense bonding when you are so worried about their health. So hug both your babies, pump like crazy and go see your mw. Then come back on here and tell us you now have OS
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Oh Lisa, I just opened up this thread.

So sorry you are going thru this! But, I know if anyone can get thru this, you can!!!!!!!

I just wanted to pop in and say that if you are going to supplement (which I completely understand) it might be best to have dh run out and get a 'hypoallergenic' formula that has the milk proteins broken down. Primarily because of allergy issues, studies have shown that early intro of formula can trigger allergies and he is even more at risk because he is early. But also because hopefully if the cow milk protein is more broken down, it won't be as constipating and more easily digested.