Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Babywise method and a few other questions

Default Babywise method and a few other questions

On another board, the Babywise method was brought up. From my understanding you let them eat, play with them and then put them down to take a nap every 3 hours. I guess the whole process is so they sleep through the night
    DS is currently sleeping 5-6 hour chunks at night and I am feeling very well rested so I'm not looking to go to this so he'll sleep through the night, I'm just curious about it.
    I'm currently feeding DS on demand and I'll let him use me as a pacifier. For most of the day (unless I'm out and about with him) he's on me. Whether he's asleep, nursing or awake and I'm reading to him or playing with him.
    Im curious to know if we do switch to the babywise method if my supply would get messed up because its not really on demand anymore.
    And of course I'd love your opinions on it too

I have a questions about my DS's poops. He's almost 7 weeks old and I've noticed a decrease in the number of times he goes per day. Today I noticed that they were darker than their normal yellow color and maybe even a dark green.
    I have OALD/OS so I block feed. During the day if he's hungry like 30 minutes after being on a new boob, I'll put him back on it, and he'll usually nurse himself to sleep. Could me doing this give him a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? I dont really feel my letdown, but I can tell when it happens by the way he's sucking (he'll slow down his sucking and stop to breath more. Sometimes he'll pull off but go right back on).

With the holidays coming up, family is wanting to know what to get me. I've seen a lot of ladies here say that they nurse in a sling and how wonderful it is. Now that i'm feeling back to myself and want to get things down around the house, I'm seeing how a sling would come in handy.
    What type of slings do you recommend/use? Do they work well for large chested women?

And my final question. I currently use disposable diapers. They are ok, but I really wanted to try cloth diapers, but I had no idea where to start. I would love to have him in cloth diapers, but there are so many out there and so many reviews, I dont know which ones would work out the best and with money being tight, can't afford to buy all of these to find out which one works. Or is it pretty much down to personal preference? Had anyone used the diapers with the disposable liners?
    I've heard babies that are diapers with cloth diapers potty train easier as they can feel when they are wet. DH and I plan to start trying when DS is 1 1/2 to 2 years old so I want the potty training to go as smoothly as it could possibly go.

Sorry for the long post with a million questions in it.

Default Re: Babywise method and a few other questions

There isn't really a lot of support on here for babywise. babywise is completely detrimental to the nursing relationship and is not supported by LLL, not to mention harmful in many other ways. There have been babies that have died from babywise. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but if it were me, I would RUN from babywise.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

i kind of figured that babywise was not pro babies breastfeeding. The whole schedule thing to me was really !
    DS is on his own schedule and it varies day to day, especially during a growth spurt, or on days where his schedule was messed up the previous day (due to a dr appt, or family outing)
    Pretty scary to know that babies have died because of this method.

I should have reworded my first message. I have no plans of changing what I'm doing with DS now. Its working very well for us. It was just a "what if we switched" question.
    Last edited by @llli*tjmom09; December 15th, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

as far as the sling go. I have 2 ring slings and LOVED them

a Maya wrap is an easy one to start with and when you buy it they have a very handy measuring chart to ensure your fit is correct. They also have a DVD what details they different carrys. As my sone got older I bought a Mai Tai carrier which was more comfortable for a larger child and for a back carry. There is a whole forum here for Babywearing, check it out there are so may pros on there that can help

We love our cloth diapers. We have a whole private forum with every type explained. You have to request to be admitted. It will be really helpful to you I think.

Just say no to Babywise Mama! You're doing a great job trusting your instincts so far!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Just say no to Babywise Mama! You're doing a great job trusting your instincts so far!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

oh cool! I will check out the maya wrap and ring slings. Thanks

How do I request admittance into the cloth diaper forum?

It sounds like you're doing great with the on-demand feeds, and managing your OALD. Green poo is in the range of normal so long as the baby is comfortable and healthy.

As far as slings go, I would recommend a wrap or a MyBabyNest (which is an easier-to-use wrap style), or a mei tai once he gets a little older. I don't really like a Maya wrap for more than a short use with a bigger baby. By the time they're 15-20 pounds, that's a LOT of weight to carry on one shoulder alone!

And if you're planning to start potty training at 1 1/2, cloth diapers will really help that out. I would also encourage you to look into elimination communication. That way, you can avoid diaper training your baby, and remove the need to train him NOT to go in his diapers anymore. It's a wonderfully respectful way of mothering, and does make transitioning out of diapers much easier. We EC'd our baby from 3 months until he was out of trainers at about 1 1/2, but until he was fully done learning, we used diaper back-up.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Glad to know his poops are normal! I was worried today that I was messing him up.
    Isn't it funny how fanatical over poop us moms get?

I'll also look into that sling too. The one thing with the Maya wrap that I saw was the excess that hangs down. My dog loves to test out anything that hangs down that I would worry he would pull on it and hurt me and ds. Though the dog is being trained not to do that currently.

I talked to DH about the Elimination Communication as I'm on their site right now and we're going to give it a try DH is very much looking forward to this and is totally on board!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*tjmom09; December 15th, 2009 at 08:19 PM.

re slings --i have a hotsling, and although i didn't use it initially b/c i felt v. worried that he was smothering, i may try again now that he is 6 weeks old. videos on youtube show a number of large chested women demo-ing the sling easily.

re diapers --i got a cloth diaper service --all the benefits of cloth without the laundry! works out to be the same cost as disposables i'm told ($80 CAD). it also meant i didn't have to decide what product because i use whatever diaper the company provides (cotton prefolds) and purchased the covers that they supply (bummis) = no brainer. if i decide to wash my own i'll have had a trial run w/ prefold and bummis. i plan to visit a shop in town (toronto) that will demo a whole variety and weigh pros and cons. the choices are overwelming!!

good luck!

Everything you fear about Babywise is true: http://www.ezzo.info/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"