Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Problem...

Default Pumping Problem...

I've been pumping since my LO was about a week and a half old (he's 6 & 1/2 weeks now) to get a supply of breastmilk in my freezer for when I go back to work. I usually pump after he eats and still get anywhere's between 4 and 5 ounces at a time. I recently (about a week ago) introduced bottles to him to get him used to them for when I go back to work, I pump around the same time I feed him the bottle or as soon as I get home. I only give him MAYBE 1 bottle a day if I go out in public and can't feed him (I'm not a pull my boob out anywhere's kinda mom). I try to give him the fresh breastmilk in the bottle for now instead of digging it out my freezer, I pump right before we leave to bring it with us, and the past 2 or 3 days I pump and only get 2 ounces at a time. Is this something I'm doing wrong? I can pump all day and freeze the milk and swear I can pump a gallon of milk when I'm just freezing it but when I NEED it to go out I can only get 2 ounces?!?! WTH! Anyone else have this problem? What can be causing it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping Problem...

Are you stressing about it while you are pumping? That could be part of the problem. Pumping output can be influenced by stress and mood. The other possibility I can think of is that your pump parts could be not together quite right which would cause a lack of suction the last couple of days. Have you noticed any loss of suction? What kind of pump do you have?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Wow, mama, that is a LOT of milk!! Could be stress, could be the time of day, could be none of the above. I have friends who can only pump 1.5-2 ounces a time while AWAY from their babies. You're doing so well. I think it's great to use fresh when you can, but don't be afraid to store in the fridge if you want to save up for an outing (expressed milk is good for up to 5 days in the fridge). I guess most moms make more in the morning, too, so that could help.

As far as nursing in public goes, it's obviously a personal choice. But you'd be surprised how much easier it is once you get the hang of it. And once you learn to do it well, you can do it without showing skin at all. Most people don't realize what you're doing. Unless you buy a fancy nursing cover, then everyone knows! IF you want to try it out, I suggest practicing in front of a mirror until you feel that you're modest enough for the outside world. I have had really good experiences nursing in public (one bad, but that's not too terrible for over 2 years of it!!). Most of the time people think the baby is sleeping. Little do they know. . . .
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Just noticed his age, too. Could be that you're not pumping as much due to a growth spurt (baby is using more of your supply)--very common at this age. Also could be that your milk supply is starting to even out to only make what baby needs plus a little extra. Both of those are good things. No need to worry!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!