Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation/Hard stools in my 9 month old

Unhappy Constipation/Hard stools in my 9 month old

My (almost) 9 month old has been eating solids since about Christmas. I've been giving him whole foods, not pureed jared foods. He eats asparagus, kiwi, carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, green beans, avacado, apples, pears, cold cubed oatmeal, and more, I just can't think of anything else at the moment. This past week he's had a total of about half a banana. He had a high fever and was so uncomfortable with this last tooth that broke through about a week ago that I broke down and gave him some Tylenol.

He's never been an everyday pooper, about twice a week is all. But this last BM he's had SUCH hard stools. We've been taking him to the toilet when he starts showing signs he's about to poo, and he'll go there. Well, last night he was stiffening up and screaming and we could tell he had to poo. So hubby took him to the toilet and well, one got stuck. Poor baby. I gloved up and helped him out. It was sooo hard, poor little guy. He's still struggling today. Gets stiff and really hollers. So far nothing's come out today, but it's not for his lack of trying.

I'm guessing maybe the banana caused him to be constipated? What else might cause it and what can I do at this point to help him out with his current BM that's needing to come out?

Oh, and he drinks nothing other than breastmilk.

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Constipation/Hard stools in my 9 month old

If he's getting solid foods he probably needs to have something more than just breastmilk for his liquids since he's constipated. Many parents find that offering just a few teaspoons of water at meal times helps with constipation.

You should probably talk to your doctor about how you can help your baby with his constipation right now.

The same situation is happening to my dd, only she is almost 21 months. I try all the time to get her to take any fluids but as you said, my child is really only interested in BM.

Her pediatrician recommended mineral oil in OJ, which may not be good at 9 months. I can't get my dd to drink the juice to get the oil.... so I've been trying fruits with lots of water -- cantelope, watermelon. I also bought prune juice and told her it was "her special juice." That makes it interesting and I can sneak in a couple of sips. In one of our books it explains bath water is for washing but cup water is for sipping.... so I try to recite this and give her sips while she is in the bath.

I'm wondering if pedialyte popsicles would be a good idea? Especially with the teething issues, which are experiencing as well. I think they have sugar in them but I might try that.

If you have any success, please share it here... I'm in the same boat. The poos have not been actual circles but they are a big blob that is dry and stiff. Dr. Sears suggests baby suppositories but I haven't got to the drug store to check on this. Another suggestion from Dr. Sears is to press on the bum hole to loosen the muscles... read his site for a more accurate reading. I guess I do have more things to try too.

We had a horrible time with constipation from the time we started solids on. My son was at the pediatrition a number of times on stool softener, suppostitories, etc. It wasn't until I started giving a greater quantity of high fat foods like avocado and also started him on flax seed oil that we had really good results. I totally cut out any rice ( I was giving him homemade brown rice), banana, applesauce, and a number of other things. I tried the p fruits such as pears, prunes, papaya, etc. also with no luck. The flax seed oil was a real lifesaver. It is safer than the mineral oil as it is a heavier oil and isn't easily aspirated such as mineral oil. I mixed it in with organic maple syrup to sweeten it a bit and he loved it. It saved us from anymore visits to the pediatrition and after two weeks on it he started pooping without the flax seed oil and without the constipation. It was such a relief. I gave him 1/2tsp two times a day.

The same thing happened to us my ds was 9 months yesterday. This is what I did and it really worked, I took him off of all solids and just nursed nursed nursed until his stools were back to normal, then I started solids back slowly and added some jarred prunes into his diet, just a few bites daily, we have not had a problem since then. Also ds loves his sippy cup with water so I am sure that helps also. Hope that he feels better. Oh yeah my ds had a very sore bottom so I would really layer the diaper cream right around the opening and that seemed to help with the soreness.

Also a warm bath or warm compresses on his tummy ( if he will lay still for that ?!?) Some else told me that baby massage on the tummy with the I LOVE YOU RUB??? Was suppose to be good?

I just thought I would add a few more things. One thing I forgot to mention is that the flax seed oil is also good for your baby containing essential fatty acids etc. so as well as helping with the constipation it provides baby with some good nutrients too. If you are planning a gentle massage for the abdomen always work from your baby's right side to the left as the ascending colon is on the right and the descending colon is on the left. You can start in little clockwise circles around the belly button and work your way out. The baby's colon is roughly just above the belly button and just on the inside of either hip bone. Be careful you don't massage too deeply or too much. I know lots of advice for me was to peddle my babe's legs but on top of it making him angry it just didn't work but you can gently drop your baby's knees from side to side holding each side for a couple of seconds. Try going right first then left. The idea is that you are squeezing the contents of the colon from the ascending colon toward the descending colon then from the descending colon toward the anus. The fact of the matter is though that if your baby's stool is dry and hard(pellet like) that no amount of movement or massage is going to make passing it any easier. I should also add that no amount of water added to the diet, unless baby is dehydrated(doesn't have enough wet diapers) is going to help with constipation. Usually it stems from an immature digestive system, not enough fat in the diet, or a combination of both. Good luck and let us know if anything works.

From When should I start solids?
    Another thing you may want to take notice of, is that your baby may think he/she is ready for solids, may be grabbing food off your plate, and enjoying the new taste. But later in the day, the baby may have an upset tummy, become constipated, or you may see the food come out in the diaper, in the same form as when it went in, completely undigested. Your milk is remains the perfect nutritious food for your baby, until his system is ready for table foods. If you've started solids, you can stop, and try again a few weeks later. Also keep in mind that four months is the bare minimum age at which your baby might be ready for a taste of solid food. It's much more common for a baby to be ready for solids later in his first year.
    Also, from Is my breastfed baby constipated?
    Once solid foods or other liquids are introduced to your breastfed baby, there will be many changes in his elimination patterns. The stools will have a stronger odor and different color and consistency. It is normal to find bits of vegetables in the diaper, as even cooked vegetables are harder to digest than many other foods. Now it is indeed possible for your baby to experience constipation and even diarrhea, which are good clues that he is not tolerating a new food or juice.
    And finally, not LLL-approved but still informative -- Guidelines for offering water to breastfed babies
    Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water with his solids - some babies need this to prevent constipation.
    HTH more

You say he drinks nothing other than breastmilk. There is nothing wrong with this, even if he is eating solids. Many babies (including my 10 mo) drink nothing but breastmilk and also eat solids.

However, if you are having these problems, there is obviously something amis. Poor baby! You certainly want to help him in any way you can.

How many times in 24 hrs is he bfing? How many wet diapers is he making?

You don't have to add water, but if you don't *do* increase the nursing. Constipation is a sure sign that your baby isn't getting enough fluids.